RE: [SACC-L] Teaching Sociology in North Carolina CC

  • <dianne.chidester@...>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 22, 2013
      I teach anthropology and sociology in South Carolina and taught in
      Kentucky, as well. NC, SC and KY are similar in their requirements
      which are set by the State, not by the colleges themselves.

      You need a minimum of 18 hours in sociology along with the master's
      degree in anthropology in order to qualify. Some schools may even like
      more. (I have 24 grad hours in soc which paid off when searching.)

      Not very many community colleges here have anthropology programs. I was
      hired in a sociology line. This school was very happy to be able to
      offer a couple of anthropology classes a semester. I don't even offer
      anthropology in the summer because they didn't attract the minimum
      number of students. Until this semester, I've been teaching more soc
      than ant. :(

      Also, I have found that teaching the sociology courses is really done
      from a less holistic view and the focus really is on using the
      theoretical perspectives. There is some crossover, but that is limited.

      Also, in SC we don't have many (if any) cross-listed courses.

      Happy Hunting!

      Dianne

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

      Anthropology & Sociology

      Greenville Technical College

      P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042

      Greenville, SC 29606-5616

      864-250-8729

      "You've got to be taught to hate and fear

      You've got to be taught from year to year

      It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

      You've got to be carefully taught"

      --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 22, 2013
        Hello.
        In general, the accrediting agencies determine the rules for faculty credentials. Here in Texas, (I am in Dallas), we are part of the Southern Association of Colleges (SACS) and they are pretty strict on requiring (1) an MA or higher, and (2) 18 graduate hours in the field of teaching. There is a bit of flexibility on the course work, but the prefix (SOCI) is pretty standard for determining whether the course/s in question satisfy the requirement. Ironically, universities are less rigorous on this point; often fieldwork credentials in aligned disciplines, etc, are accepted for 'cross over' fields of teaching.
        One other selling point: we have recently begun offering Physical Anthropology as lab based courses and they are taking off. If you are able to slip in the back door with that, it might be a way to start up a program. You might want to check whatever state course curriculum guides are available to see if any such courses are 'in the books' and can be offered.
        Best wishes!
        Tim

        Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
        Professor of Anthropology
        Richland College
        12800 Abrams Rd.
        Dallas, TX 75243

        972-238-6959
        tsullivan@...>>> Conal Ho <conalho@...> 2/21/2013 10:40 PM >>>

        Hello fellow anthropologists,

        I'm wondering if there's anyone in the society who has been able to teach a sociology course in a North Carolina community college but holds a degree in anthropology. I'd like to connect with anyone who has and get advice on how to do it.

        I recently graduated with a PhD in anthropology from UC Santa Cruz and have been exploring teaching at community colleges in North Carolina, and more specifically in the Raleigh-Durham area. Through numerous informational interviews, I found out that NC CC's are a lot more rigid and centralised so supposedly to teach a course in sociology, I would have to have 18 hours of grad course work in courses with sociology specifically in the course number. Unfortunately, I don't. The course work that I have that add up to 18 hours are in anthropology.

        Looking through the catalogs of CCs in the area, I notice that I could teach almost all of their sociology courses (e.g., SOC 225 Social Diversity, SOC 230 Race and Ethnic Relations, SOC 234 Sociology of Gender, SOC 220 Social Problems) because I've done work and research in all these topics! Do they really think that anthropologists don't work with many of the same social issues that sociologist do?

        Of course, I'm not only looking to teach sociology in NC CC's, but also anthropology. It's just that sociology is a much larger field in CC's and so it's easier to come by adjunct positions for that.

        Thanks,
        Conal

      • Conal Ho
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
          Thanks to everyone who replied. I know that in California community colleges, they have something like a course equivalency process whereby someone can demonstrate through say their own research that they have done enough to be credentialed to teach particular classes. For instance, a friend of my who also has a PhD in anthropology teachers in the intercultural studies department at a California community college and she was able to do that by showing her qualifying exams and PhD research which was on race and ethnicity relations. I wonder if something like course equivalencies are available in North Carolina.

          It's a shame that anthropology does not attract more students, at least in the region of North Carolina where I'm at (Raleigh-Durham). Anthropology programs in CC's in San Francisco Bay area seem to be quite a bit bigger. I wonder if part of this is anthropology as a discipline not advertising itself well. Perhaps old notions of anthropology as only study the "exotic tribal" people still hold? I mean, after all, anthropologists for the past 30 years have studied in urban areas, deal with social problems, diversity issues, power issues, etc.! I mean, there doesn't seem to be any discipline-related reason why sociology should be so much bigger in CCs than anthropology.

          Regarding Dianne Chidester's comment:
          > Also, I have found that teaching the sociology courses is really done
          > from a less holistic view and the focus really is on using the
          > theoretical perspectives. There is some crossover, but that is limited.

          I think this can really go both ways. There are so many ways to teach anthropology and the tension between the more humanistic and scientific perspectives can be generative and fruitful.

          Who in the community college leadership do I turn to to ask for how faculty qualifications for a course are done? And how do I find out if there is wiggle room? From reading the accrediting agency (SACS) website, having 18 graduate hours of coursework isn't only the way to be credentialled:

          from SACS FAQ page: http://www.sacscoc.org/FAQsanswers.asp#q14
          > Institutions are required to document and justify that each faculty member is qualified to teach assigned courses. Documentation and justification may be accomplished by using only traditional academic credentials, by using a combination of traditional academic credentials and “other” qualifications, or by using only “other” qualifications consistent with Comprehensive Standard 3.7.1, and reporting these on the Commission’s faculty roster form. In essence, the institution is called upon to “make its case” for why the faculty member is qualified to teach courses assigned.
          >
          > If the traditional academic credential approach is used, then following the Faculty Credential guidelines will prove very helpful. When the qualifying credential aligns with the courses being taught, no justification is normally required as the credential speaks for itself, e.g. Ph.D. in English teaching English. However, if the Ph.D. is in Business Administration and the faculty member is teaching Accounting, then a written justification is normally necessary.
          >
          > If a combination of traditional credentials and “other” credentials is used, or if the “other” qualifications only approach is used, then a portfolio approach for qualifications is suggested. This approach normally requires a careful and thorough justification that demonstrates the linkage between the various components of the portfolio of qualifications to the courses being taught.

          Thanks for the guidance!

          Conal Ho
        • Phillip Naftaly
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
            Hello Conal,

            I have faced the same situation of being an anthropologist who teaches sociology
            courses in several states, but New York and Vermont have tended to be pretty
            flexible.  It has helped me to be able to say that my culture area in
            anthropology has been Contemporary America and that much of my studies have
            included or greatly overlapped with the work of sociologists.  You might try
            teaching sociology courses on line at colleges in some of the flexible states
            and then try to get some of the Community Colleges in North Carolina to
            recognize your sociology teaching experience and wave the formal course credit
            requirement.  I've also found that many private four-year colleges are
            very flexible with the qualifications of their instuctors, sepeically with
            regard to diversity, education, and family courses.  Best of luck.

            On February 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM Conal Ho <conalho@...> wrote:

            > Hello fellow anthropologists,
            >
            > I'm wondering if there's anyone in the society who has been able to teach a
            > sociology course in a North Carolina community college but holds a degree in
            > anthropology. I'd like to connect with anyone who has and get advice on how to
            > do it.
            >
            > I recently graduated with a PhD in anthropology from UC Santa Cruz and have
            > been exploring teaching at community colleges in North Carolina, and more
            > specifically in the Raleigh-Durham area. Through numerous informational
            > interviews, I found out that NC CC's are a lot more rigid and centralised so
            > supposedly to teach a course in sociology, I would have to have 18 hours of
            > grad course work in courses with sociology specifically in the course number.
            > Unfortunately, I don't. The course work that I have that add up to 18 hours
            > are in anthropology.
            >
            > Looking through the catalogs of CCs in the area, I notice that I could teach
            > almost all of their sociology courses (e.g., SOC 225 Social Diversity, SOC 230
            > Race and Ethnic Relations, SOC 234 Sociology of Gender, SOC 220 Social
            > Problems) because I've done work and research in all these topics! Do they
            > really think that anthropologists don't work with many of the same social
            > issues that sociologist do?
            >
            > Of course, I'm not only looking to teach sociology in NC CC's, but also
            > anthropology. It's just that sociology is a much larger field in CC's and so
            > it's easier to come by adjunct positions for that.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > ConalPhillip Naftaly, Ph.D.
            Distinguished Professor of Anthropology and Sociology
            Academic Assessment Coordinator
            SUNY Adirondack
            (518) 832 7727

          • Anthropmor
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
              I wonder if part
              f this is anthropology as a discipline not advertising itself well. Perhaps old
              otions of anthropology as only study the "exotic tribal" people still hold? I
              ean, after all, anthropologists for the past 30 years have studied in urban
              reas, deal with social problems, diversity issues, power issues, etc.! I mean,
              here doesn't seem to be any discipline-related reason why sociology should be
              o much bigger in CCs than anthropology

              Anthropology not advertising itself is without a doubt true; the movement to the periphery of the discipline is w/o a doubt also part of it; there is also a horrifying lack of support within the discipline- people have to want to build departments, have students exploring a series of classes....
              Mike Pavlik

[...]

              aught.
              Thanks for the guidance!
              Conal Ho
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                Perhaps this month's Atlantic magazine (March 2013) is doing some advertising for us. It has a fascinating article titled "Anthropology, Inc." that describes how companies are contracting with anthropologists and those with anthropological training to employ the ethnographic techniques of participant observation and interviewing to reveal consumers' "deepest needs, fears and desires." It probably won't please the hard-core academics, but it describes contract ethnography as a growing and apparently quite lucrative business. It also addresses ethical matters.
                Lloyd

                On Feb 24, 2013, at 8:24 AM, Anthropmor wrote:

                > I wonder if part
                > f this is anthropology as a discipline not advertising itself well. Perhaps old
                > otions of anthropology as only study the "exotic tribal" people still hold? I
                > ean, after all, anthropologists for the past 30 years have studied in urban
                > reas, deal with social problems, diversity issues, power issues, etc.! I mean,
                > here doesn't seem to be any discipline-related reason why sociology should be
                > o much bigger in CCs than anthropology
                >
                > Anthropology not advertising itself is without a doubt true; the movement to the periphery of the discipline is w/o a doubt also part of it; there is also a horrifying lack of support within the discipline- people have to want to build departments, have students exploring a series of classes....
                > Mike Pavlik

              • Anthropmor

                  Perhaps this month's Atlantic magazine (March 2013) is doing some advertising
                  or us. It has a fascinating article titled "Anthropology, Inc." that describes
                  ow companies are contracting with anthropologists and those with
                  nthropological training to employ the ethnographic techniques of participant
                  bservation and interviewing to reveal consumers' "deepest needs, fears and
                  esires." It probably won't please the hard-core academics, but it describes
                  ontract ethnography as a growing and apparently quite lucrative business. It
                  lso addresses ethical matters.
                  loyd

                  n Feb 24, 2013, at 8:24 AM, Anthropmor wrote:

                  I wonder if part
                  f this is anthropology as a discipline not advertising itself well. Perhaps
                  ld
> [...]

                  If the traditional academic credential approach is used, then following the
                  aculty Credential guidelines will prove very helpful. When the qualifying
                  redential aligns with the courses being taught, no justification is normally
                  equired as the credential speaks for itself, e.g. Ph.D. in English teaching
                  nglish. However, if the Ph.D. is in Business Administration and the faculty
                  ember is teaching Accounting, then a written justification is normally
                  ecessary.

                  If a combination of traditional credentials and �other� credentials is used,
                  r if the �other� qualifications only approach is used, then a portfolio
                  pproach for qualifications is suggested. This approach normally requires a
                  areful and thorough justification that demonstrates the linkage between the
                  arious components of the portfolio of qualifications to the courses being

                • kent morris
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                    To what extent must anthropologists who feel bound to our code of ethics exercise caution when dealing with the business world?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                      In Minnesota CC’s, General Sociology is a required course for Nursing, Criminal Justice, and some other major programs. I am not aware of any program that gives similar credit for taking Cultural Anthropology (our many campuses rarely if ever taught a single 4-field course). The State does seem to require that students wishing to get licensed to teach K-12 needed a Cultural Anthro course (at least that’s why my online CA courses were filled with off-campus students), but that is not much compared to the traffic heading over to General Sociology due to graduation requirements.