Chicago 2013 AAA - Public Schools Outreach Initiative

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2013
      Colleagues,

      We have been invited (as SACC) to help develop an initiative for the Chicago AAA meeting in 2013. It sounds very exciting to me, as it entails working with Chicago Public Schools and introducing them to anthropology.

      I would like to form a working group to come up with some ideas for how SACC might best be involved, and what we can offer. The full email from Alaka and Dana-Ain, leaders of the initiative, is below. Please contact me or Tim Sullivan (tsullivan@...) if you would like to get involved either in the planning or by participating as a presenter in the schools during the Chicago meeting. Anthropologists from all fields are welcome.

      Laura
      Past-President

      *****************************

      I (Alaka Wali) am writing to you as Co-Chair, together with Dana-Ain Davis, of the AAA 2013 annual meeting which will be held in Chicago, November 20-24.

      We are very excited about a new initiative which we propose to organize in conjunction with the meeting, and which we have titled: "Anthropologists Back to School". We are proposing to provide the opportunity for anthropologists attending the meetings to meet with students from Chicago Public Schools, and getting them excited about some dimension of anthropology.

      The idea is that here in Chicago, we would arrange for multiple sites (most would be museums, but some of the local anthro. departments also want to be a site), where students would come on a "field trip", and then engage with the anthropologists.

      We are in the very beginning stages of planning and coordination, but we really hope that your sections or organizations will be "front and center" so to speak in working on this.

      Dana-Ain and I would appreciate any ideas you would have on

      --content/themes
      -- organization/logistics
      -- specific role for your section

      We are also wondering if your sections (or members of the sections) are working on K-12 anthropology curriculum which might tie into this initiative or as a follow-up?

      We look forward to hearing from you!

      regards,
      Alaka and Dana-Ain
      --
      Alaka Wali
      Curator of North American Anthropology
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2013
        Laura:

        We have an outreach program that focuses on human anatomy, biomechanics,
        evolution, and forensics. We are mostly in Wisconsin now, but have one
        school in Illinois in our "Anatomy Academy". Would love to connect with
        Chicago, and I have a colleague at Northwestern who is in Science
        Education there and one at the veterinary school nearby (and both former
        students and employees, both with MAs in anthro), and I could contact them.

        Let me know.

        Anj

        --

        Andrew J Petto, PhD