global violence on women

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2013
      We all have been reading the following pattern in the news of late: a continuing rise in global sexual slavery, including within the USA, that is estimated at astounding numbers- 37 million was last estimate; a sharp increase over the past few decades of urban rape of women in India that is just now gaining public attention and organized resistance movement; a warped orthodox misinterpretation of Muslim 'values' that encourages what is disgustingly termed 'honor killings' or violent murder of a woman by close relatives for being raped(!); a rise in orthodoxy in all major religions with regressive gender segregation and male dominance; now in Ohio, yet another story of a young woman gang raped by football players and video evidence of the sadistic mob violence-both verbal and physical, followed by mixture of supportive public reaction for BOTH the perpetrators/sports heroes, and the young woman.
      that needs an effort at global attention on transformative gender child-raising, particularly among men, who I believe are acting against women through deep fear of losing power in their families, their jobs, their friends, their cultures...I have been researching a book idea on "bullying in American culture" and I am re-reading the Susan Brownmiller classic reference on rape: "Against Our Will"...we need to encourage this book become required reading in homes and schools and work places as a start.