RE: [SACC-L] RE: Warning, Do Not Open Twitter/Facebook from Laura Gonzalez that Looks Suspicious

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
      If you are curious, here is some discussion about the DM virus for a Twitter
      forum. I don't think they've made much progress on it.

      https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/990

      Since so many people have been complaining about this (I've lost count of
      the number of DMs I've received), it can't be that passwords have been
      stolen. I'm just going to wait and see.

      Deborah

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
        Ignore my last link. This may be coming from Facebook (just like the link in
        the DM). Apparently, Facebook has had this sort of thing happen (promised
        links to photos or videos) before.

        Last message from me for a while. I promise!

        Deborah

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
          Does this mean that if you got the message, you have the virus?

          Mary Kay
          Tucson, AZ 85709-0215
          mkgilliland@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
            I should have been more specific. It appears to me that if you get the message in your email, it is because you have a twitter account and are followed by, or yourself follow, someone who has gotten the message. Furthermore, if you click on the link, your twitter followers will then also get the message. This may also happen even if you do *not* click on the link and simply discard the message, but perhaps that is not the case.* The first click is not dangerous to you personally. It just takes you to a bogus Youtube page that (in my experience) asks you to update your Youtube video software, which is nonsense. That’s when I knew for sure it was a virus. Unfortunately, I got my message from my husband’s account, so I rather thought at first that it was one of his practical jokes!

            Deborah

            * It would be good to hear from anyone who has gotten the message but deleted it immediately. Did it pass on or stop dead in its tracks?

            mkgilliland@... <mailto:mkgilliland%40pima.edu>

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
              I knew, at some point, I would be happy I have not signed up for
              Twitter. There is hope for us old fogeys!
              Tim
              Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
              Professor of Anthropology
              Richland College