Re: [SACC-L] Recommendation for Conservative Anthropology Universities?

  • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2012
      You can add Wheaton College to he list (Wheaton IL). They have a joint Sociology Anthropology Department but offer a lot of courses and the faculty are open to a variety of points of view. I taught there for over a decade as an adjunct and no one tried to tell me what conclusions I should reach in my classes.

      I am curious how they define "conservative". Hopefully they are open to critical thinking and the scientific method. Their daughter will need to leave her comfort zone eventually and college would be a good place to start getting exposed to other points of view. This process would help her determine what she really believes and why.

      Hope this helps.

      Chuck Ellenbaum

      On Nov 19, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Carol Hayman <chayman@...> wrote:

      > Dear SACCers,
      > I received this email from a "concerned parent". It does feel like a trick
      > question, but yes, we are in Texas. I told him I would consult my
      > colleagues for advice, which is you, so any thoughts?
      >
      > My daughter is a Senior in high school in the Austin area. She wants to
      > study Anthropology in College.
      >
      > Can you recommend a way for me to find a conservative Anthropology College?
      > I assume there is a broad range in worldviews from college to college.
      > Not sure I can get her to an overtly Christian college, but would like to
      > get her to one that is as conservative as possible.
      >
      > Can you provide me a list of colleges that you would recommend?
      >
      > I have searched the internet for conservative anthropology colleges and
      > have found nothing to help.
      >
      > Right now her list includes:
      >
      > - Southwestern University
      > - University of Houston
      > - rice
      > - SMU
      > - Austin College
      > - University of Evansville
      > - George Washingtin U
      > - Cal Berkeley
      > - Syracuse
      >
      > Of these listed, would you rank any of these as more conservative or less
      > conservative (Cal Berkeley I assume) ?
      >
      > Are there any not on this list that you would recommend?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --
      >
      > Carol Hayman
      > Professor of Anthropology
      > Austin Community College
      > Voice mail: 223-1790 x 22932
      > Office hours: Round Rock MW 11:30 - 12:00 Room 2210.08 Building 2000,
      > 223-0153
      > Rio Grande TTH 10:30 - 12:00 Room 250.1 (Annex) 223-3403

    • Carol Hayman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
        Dear Mark,
        Thanks for your input! I am glad to get a different perspective. I was
        thinking he wanted to find a school that wouldn't be teaching his daughter
        evolution. Now that everyone is required to put syllabi on the web, he can
        do the research to find that out. I mentioned that there will be a certain
        similarity in all college anthropology courses because they have to follow
        legislative and accrediting guidelines. I also mentioned that a lot of
        colleges have only one anthropology course, like Texas Lutheran in Seguin,
        where I also taught and that I don't know of an "Anthropology College".
        Thank you for saying such nice things about Austin!
        Carol