Re: [SACC-L] Re: Recommendation for Conservative Anthropology Universities?

  • Tim Sullivan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2012
      Carol:
      Of course, the job of an anthropologist is to provide the 'shock of the other'. But that will come with time, as a student goes to college and is exposed to new ideas. At least ideally so. I would shy away from polemics and simply address the father in as straightforward manner as possible. Trying to inform his thinking and inclinations is not going to serve his daughter, a potential student, in any way.
      Following Mark's reply, I would first inquire a bit more about the student's interests. What drew her to anthropology? Is she interested in archaeology? If so, Baylor and Southwestern, I believe have archaeology programs. Actually, the Baylor archaeology program, run by Carol McCawley-Jamison, is a pretty solid program. They have a small, but competent cultural anthropology program as well. They also have, (or used to have) a classical/biblical archaeology program, which is really in a different department. In general, Baylor has a conservative campus atmosphere.
      SMU is relatively conservative atmosphere in general, and their anthropology program is first rate in all areas. It is not, however, a conservative anthropology program. Austin College is a small liberal arts college in Sherman, Texas, and I don't think they have much to offer in the way of a broad anthropology program.
      I believe the best way to answer the parent is to inquire further about his daughter's interests. That should provide a clue about the direction for an undergraduate college career. Once in a college environment, away from dad, she will (hopefully) become exposed to various world views and gain a perspective of her own.
      I hope this helps.
      Tim
      Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
      Professor of Anthropology
      Richland College
      12800 Abrams Rd.
      Dallas, TX 75243

      972-238-6959
      tsullivan@...
      >>> Carol Hayman 11/19/12 4:25 PM >>>
      Dear SACCers,
      I received this email from a "concerned parent". It does feel like a trick
      question, but yes, we are in Texas. I told him I would consult my
      colleagues for advice, which is you, so any thoughts?

      My daughter is a Senior in high school in the Austin area. She wants to
      study Anthropology in College.

      Can you recommend a way for me to find a conservative Anthropology College?
      I assume there is a broad range in worldviews from college to college.
      Not sure I can get her to an overtly Christian college, but would like to
      get her to one that is as conservative as possible.

      Can you provide me a list of colleges that you would recommend?

      I have searched the internet for conservative anthropology colleges and
      have found nothing to help.

      Right now her list includes:

      - Southwestern University
      - University of Houston
      - rice
      - SMU
      - Austin College
      - University of Evansville
      - George Washingtin U
      - Cal Berkeley
      - Syracuse

      Of these listed, would you rank any of these as more conservative or less
      conservative (Cal Berkeley I assume) ?

      Are there any not on this list that you would recommend?

      Thanks.

      --

      Carol Hayman
      Professor of Anthropology

    • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2012
        You can add Wheaton College to he list (Wheaton IL). They have a joint Sociology Anthropology Department but offer a lot of courses and the faculty are open to a variety of points of view. I taught there for over a decade as an adjunct and no one tried to tell me what conclusions I should reach in my classes.

        I am curious how they define "conservative". Hopefully they are open to critical thinking and the scientific method. Their daughter will need to leave her comfort zone eventually and college would be a good place to start getting exposed to other points of view. This process would help her determine what she really believes and why.

        Hope this helps.

        Chuck Ellenbaum

        On Nov 19, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Carol Hayman <chayman@...> wrote:

        > Dear SACCers,
        > I received this email from a "concerned parent". It does feel like a trick
        > question, but yes, we are in Texas. I told him I would consult my
        > colleagues for advice, which is you, so any thoughts?
        >
        > My daughter is a Senior in high school in the Austin area. She wants to
        > study Anthropology in College.
        >
        > Can you recommend a way for me to find a conservative Anthropology College?
        > I assume there is a broad range in worldviews from college to college.
        > Not sure I can get her to an overtly Christian college, but would like to
        > get her to one that is as conservative as possible.
        >
        > Can you provide me a list of colleges that you would recommend?
        >
        > I have searched the internet for conservative anthropology colleges and
        > have found nothing to help.
        >
        > Right now her list includes:
        >
        > - Southwestern University
        > - University of Houston
        > - rice
        > - SMU
        > - Austin College
        > - University of Evansville
        > - George Washingtin U
        > - Cal Berkeley
        > - Syracuse
        >
        > Of these listed, would you rank any of these as more conservative or less
        > conservative (Cal Berkeley I assume) ?
        >
        > Are there any not on this list that you would recommend?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Carol Hayman
        > Professor of Anthropology
        > Austin Community College
        > Voice mail: 223-1790 x 22932
        > Office hours: Round Rock MW 11:30 - 12:00 Room 2210.08 Building 2000,
        > 223-0153
        > Rio Grande TTH 10:30 - 12:00 Room 250.1 (Annex) 223-3403

      • Carol Hayman
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
          Dear Mark,
          Thanks for your input! I am glad to get a different perspective. I was
          thinking he wanted to find a school that wouldn't be teaching his daughter
          evolution. Now that everyone is required to put syllabi on the web, he can
          do the research to find that out. I mentioned that there will be a certain
          similarity in all college anthropology courses because they have to follow
          legislative and accrediting guidelines. I also mentioned that a lot of
          colleges have only one anthropology course, like Texas Lutheran in Seguin,
          where I also taught and that I don't know of an "Anthropology College".
          Thank you for saying such nice things about Austin!
          Carol