Re: Recommendation for Conservative Anthropology Universities?

  • Carol Hayman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 19, 2012
      Dear SACCers,
      I received this email from a "concerned parent". It does feel like a trick
      question, but yes, we are in Texas. I told him I would consult my
      colleagues for advice, which is you, so any thoughts?

      My daughter is a Senior in high school in the Austin area. She wants to
      study Anthropology in College.

      Can you recommend a way for me to find a conservative Anthropology College?
      I assume there is a broad range in worldviews from college to college.
      Not sure I can get her to an overtly Christian college, but would like to
      get her to one that is as conservative as possible.

      Can you provide me a list of colleges that you would recommend?

      I have searched the internet for conservative anthropology colleges and
      have found nothing to help.

      Right now her list includes:

      - Southwestern University
      - University of Houston
      - rice
      - SMU
      - Austin College
      - University of Evansville
      - George Washingtin U
      - Cal Berkeley
      - Syracuse

      Of these listed, would you rank any of these as more conservative or less
      conservative (Cal Berkeley I assume) ?

      Are there any not on this list that you would recommend?

      Thanks.

      --

      Carol Hayman
      Professor of Anthropology

    • Andrew Petto
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 19, 2012
        Boy ... way to take the 'liberal' out of the liberal arts, ain'a?

        Where to begin.

        First of all, as we all know, what this parent wants from an anthro
        program ain't gonna happen. She wants her kid to go off to school and
        learn about the big, wide world, but come home with none of her beliefs
        changed or challenged. The bad news is that this even happens when kids
        go to Christian and/or conservative colleges.

        More to the point, the essence of what the student is going to learn in
        anthropology is the antithesis of what this parent wants. The kid will
        learn to compare; the kid will learn that the different
        organizations/beliefs/practices/and so on are not inferior, but
        perfectly functional. She will learn that what appears perfectly normal
        and natural to her will appear bizarre and unimaginable to others. She
        will learn that there is not ONE way for all humans to live and be ...
        and certainly not one TRUE way.

        However, you can reassure her parent that the kid will come home with a
        newfound respect for other peoples and cultures and learn to value them
        in their own terms. It will not necessarily harm or weaken her faith
        (which is what mom & dad are worried about) but it will make her a lousy
        missionary, and ... if the program is successful ... significantly less
        jingoistic.

        You can let her know that anthro departments do not line up as
        conservative vs liberal; there isn't that sort of politic there for the
        most part, even though there are programs and departments that are more
        progressive or Marxist and so on. What makes them all anthropology
        departments is their shared commitment to the fundamental practices,
        models, and theories of a discipline. In a word ... science. In the end,
        it is the anthropological science that determines what the colleges
        teach ... and the faculty, as we know, have all put in at least a few
        years of advances study to learn both their discipline and the practice
        of scholarship. We are not in it to make a point, but to do a better job
        of understanding humanity. Still, we have learned quite a bit about our
        subjects (and ourselves) over the past century and a half or so.

        These may be the outcomes that the parent is trying to avoid, but, as we
        all know they are not unique to Anthro programs. As anthropologists, we
        should also be sensitive to the issues that the parent is facing: a kid
        going off into a strange intellectual landscape and the parent is unsure
        how it will all turn out. What the parent worries about most, probably,
        is eternal damnation. Now, WE may not seriously think that learning
        anthropology will endanger the eternal soul of this young woman, but her
        parent---by searching for a Christian or a conservative
        campus---obviously thinks it may.

        Of course, lots of campuses get reputations as liberal or conservative
        (like Berkeley), but that campus culture (as we all know) is not
        necessarily a reflection of the academic programming or individual
        faculty. Berkeley has world-famous radical professors, but also the
        leading light of the "Intelligent Design" movement. So, there is no
        weeding out of faculty with respect to correct political positions
        (which also may not be true of private religious institutions ... BUT if
        those are accredited by secular agencies, then they have to meet certain
        minimum standards of academic freedom for faculty research and teaching
        (see:
        reports.ncse.com/index.php/rncse/article/download/106/93; and
        reports.ncse.com/index.php/rncse/article/download/105/94).

        So, there probably isn't a place where her daughter will go where the
        anthropology program will be in accord with the mother's aspirations.

        The liberal in liberal education is not a political statement, but a
        commitment to evidence-based intellectual practice; looking for,
        collecting, analyzing, and applying appropriate information to promote
        better understanding of human societies, humans in nature, and the
        history and diversity of our species.

        Anj

        On 2012-11-19 16:24, Carol Hayman wrote:

        > Dear SACCers,
        > I received this email from a "concerned parent". It does feel like a trick
        > question, but yes, we are in Texas. I told him I would consult my
        > colleagues for advice, which is you, so any thoughts?
        >
        > My daughter is a Senior in high school in the Austin area. She wants to
        > study Anthropology in College.
        >
        > Can you recommend a way for me to find a conservative Anthropology
        > College?
        > I assume there is a broad range in worldviews from college to college.
        > Not sure I can get her to an overtly Christian college, but would like to
        > get her to one that is as conservative as possible.
        >
        > Can you provide me a list of colleges that you would recommend?
        >
        > I have searched the internet for conservative anthropology colleges and
        > have found nothing to help.
        >
        > Right now her list includes:
        >
        > - Southwestern University
        > - University of Houston
        > - rice
        > - SMU
        > - Austin College
        > - University of Evansville
        > - George Washingtin U
        > - Cal Berkeley
        > - Syracuse
        >
        > Of these listed, would you rank any of these as more conservative or less
        > conservative (Cal Berkeley I assume) ?
        >
        > Are there any not on this list that you would recommend?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Carol Hayman
        > Professor of Anthropology
        > Austin Community College
        > Voice mail: 223-1790 x 22932
        > Office hours: Round Rock MW 11:30 - 12:00 Room 2210.08 Building 2000,
        > 223-0153
        > Rio Grande TTH 10:30 - 12:00 Room 250.1 (Annex) 223-3403

        Andrew J Petto, PhD
        Senior Lecturer
        Department of Biological Sciences
        University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
        PO Box 413
        Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
        CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
        Telephone: 414-229-6784
        FAX: 414-229-3926

        Could you be a teacher?

      • Anthropmor

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2012
            Moreover, I would answer that this is a science, not a political stance. Why not go to a conservative Chemistry department, or a right wing physics program?
            It just doesn't make sense;
            How about a finance oriented english program?
            Or a Marxist Organic chemistry class?
            Mike Pavlik

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 20, 2012
                Carol:
                Of course, the job of an anthropologist is to provide the 'shock of the other'. But that will come with time, as a student goes to college and is exposed to new ideas. At least ideally so. I would shy away from polemics and simply address the father in as straightforward manner as possible. Trying to inform his thinking and inclinations is not going to serve his daughter, a potential student, in any way.
                Following Mark's reply, I would first inquire a bit more about the student's interests. What drew her to anthropology? Is she interested in archaeology? If so, Baylor and Southwestern, I believe have archaeology programs. Actually, the Baylor archaeology program, run by Carol McCawley-Jamison, is a pretty solid program. They have a small, but competent cultural anthropology program as well. They also have, (or used to have) a classical/biblical archaeology program, which is really in a different department. In general, Baylor has a conservative campus atmosphere.
                SMU is relatively conservative atmosphere in general, and their anthropology program is first rate in all areas. It is not, however, a conservative anthropology program. Austin College is a small liberal arts college in Sherman, Texas, and I don't think they have much to offer in the way of a broad anthropology program.
                I believe the best way to answer the parent is to inquire further about his daughter's interests. That should provide a clue about the direction for an undergraduate college career. Once in a college environment, away from dad, she will (hopefully) become exposed to various world views and gain a perspective of her own.
                I hope this helps.
                Tim
                Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                Professor of Anthropology
                Richland College
                12800 Abrams Rd.
                Dallas, TX 75243

                972-238-6959
                tsullivan@...
                >>> Carol Hayman 11/19/12 4:25 PM >>>
                Dear SACCers,
                I received this email from a "concerned parent". It does feel like a trick
                question, but yes, we are in Texas. I told him I would consult my
                colleagues for advice, which is you, so any thoughts?

                My daughter is a Senior in high school in the Austin area. She wants to
                study Anthropology in College.

                Can you recommend a way for me to find a conservative Anthropology College?
                I assume there is a broad range in worldviews from college to college.
                Not sure I can get her to an overtly Christian college, but would like to
                get her to one that is as conservative as possible.

                Can you provide me a list of colleges that you would recommend?

                I have searched the internet for conservative anthropology colleges and
                have found nothing to help.

                Right now her list includes:

                - Southwestern University
                - University of Houston
                - rice
                - SMU
                - Austin College
                - University of Evansville
                - George Washingtin U
                - Cal Berkeley
                - Syracuse

                Of these listed, would you rank any of these as more conservative or less
                conservative (Cal Berkeley I assume) ?

                Are there any not on this list that you would recommend?

                Thanks.

                --

                Carol Hayman
                Professor of Anthropology
                Austin Community College
                Voice mail: 223-1790 x 22932
                Office hours: Round Rock MW 11:30 - 12:00 Room 2210.08 Building 2000,
                223-0153
                Rio Grande TTH 10:30 - 12:00 Room 250.1 (Annex) 223-3403

              • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 20, 2012
                  You can add Wheaton College to he list (Wheaton IL). They have a joint Sociology Anthropology Department but offer a lot of courses and the faculty are open to a variety of points of view. I taught there for over a decade as an adjunct and no one tried to tell me what conclusions I should reach in my classes.

                  I am curious how they define "conservative". Hopefully they are open to critical thinking and the scientific method. Their daughter will need to leave her comfort zone eventually and college would be a good place to start getting exposed to other points of view. This process would help her determine what she really believes and why.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Chuck Ellenbaum

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
                    Dear Mark,
                    Thanks for your input! I am glad to get a different perspective. I was
                    thinking he wanted to find a school that wouldn't be teaching his daughter
                    evolution. Now that everyone is required to put syllabi on the web, he can
                    do the research to find that out. I mentioned that there will be a certain
                    similarity in all college anthropology courses because they have to follow
                    legislative and accrediting guidelines. I also mentioned that a lot of
                    colleges have only one anthropology course, like Texas Lutheran in Seguin,
                    where I also taught and that I don't know of an "Anthropology College".
                    Thank you for saying such nice things about Austin!
                    Carol