Re: [SACC-L] Plagiarism Policy in Canada?

  • Oona Schmid
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      Is it possible the student is confusing "crown use" with plagarism?

      In other words, in Canada (and indeed many Commonwealth countries), many
      works are basically in the public domain, which means that people can
      reprint them without securing permission to reprint. HOWEVER, that reuse
      must still credit and cite the ideas of the original author. Plagarism is
      the act of copying those ideas without citing or giving credit, and this
      (as others have indicated) is not acceptable-- in any Commonwealth or
      non-Commonwealth country.

      Oona Schmid
      Director of Publishing AAA

      On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Bob Muckle <bmuckle@...> wrote:

      > Let me assure you that Canadians take plagiarism very seriously. At my
      > institution an instructor can fail a student for the entire course for
      > plagiarizing a single sentence. A student can be expelled for a second of
      > offence. I have failed several students for the entire course for
      > plagiarism in a single assignment.
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Oct 31, 2012, at 8:43 PM, "diane_p_levine" <levinedp@...<mailto:
      > levinedp@...>> wrote:
      >

      > Hi All:
      >
      > A student who failed an assignment because she turned in a paper that she
      > had downloaded from an on-line source told me that submitting something
      > like this (without a single change) was allowed in her country. What
      > country is that? -- Canada!!
      >
      > She has graduated from a Canadian university and is just taking some of
      > our classes as she waits to apply to law school.
      >
      > Canadians, please let me know what your plagiarism policy is.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Diane
      >
      > For your entertainments, here is the link to the website and the article
      > she submitted :<
      > http://www.preservearticles.com/here-is-your-short-essay-on-exogamy.html>

    • tadmci
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
        Bob's got it right. Same as at our college. You plagiarize and you fail. You go on a list maintained by the Dean. Multiple offenses lead to expulsion (although I've not heard of this happening at our college). Plagiarism policies are written into all of our course outlines and syllabuses.

        I would add that I don't think "Canada" has a policy - but Canadian institutions do, and this is a serious offence.

        Tad