Re: [SACC-L] Physical Anth text?

  • Andrew J Petto
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
      Sounds good.

      Anj Petto

      ------------
      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer
      Department of Biological Sciences
      University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
      PO Box 413
      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
      CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
      Telephone: 414-229-6784
      FAX: 414-229-3926

      *************

      -- Pat Conroy
      The Prince of Tides

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...>
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:33:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [SACC-L] Physical Anth text?

      Andrew:
      I will add your name to an interest list. I am thinking about a possible 'brown bag' round table at our SACC Fest in Austin.
      I will stay in touch.
      Tim
      Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
      Professor of Anthropology
      Richland College
      12800 Abrams Rd.
      Dallas, TX 75243

      972-238-6959
      tsullivan@...
      >>> Andrew Petto 10/29/12 10:03 PM >>>
      I would be interested.

      Anj

      On 2012-10-29 22:01, Tim Sullivan wrote:

      > Hello.
      > A couple of years ago, I mentioned Flat World as a source. They do not
      > have any anthropology texts right now, but I wonder if a group of
      > SACCers would be interested in putting together some texts in various
      > fields? There is a damn good Sociology text they sell right now. The
      > price is right: zero dollars! If students want a paper copy they can
      > order a copy for about $25-30. Yes, it would be time consuming. If
      > anyone is interested, I might be willing to head up a group to start
      > working on one or more of these.
      > Tim
      > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
      > Professor of Anthropology
      > Richland College
      > 12800 Abrams Rd.
      > Dallas, TX 75243
      >
      > 972-238-6959
      > tsullivan@...
      > Hello,
      >
      > I use Our Origins, 2nd edition by Clark Spencer Larsen and published by
      > Norton. Our campus bookstore only stocks the 3-hole bunch binder version
      > ($75) and the electronic version ($42). Norton has another brief text
      > called
      > Essentials of Physical Anthropology (same author) out in a new edition
      > which
      > just came across my desk and looks good. One thing I will say about Norton
      > is that their Blackboard course packs are very good and contain activities
      > and study guides the students find useful.
      >
      > For what it's worth, I still have many students who do not buy the
      > book-even
      > at those relatively low prices. I think expensive texts are the "kiss of
      > death" for physical anthro because at least at my CC the class is not a
      > particular requirement for anyone's major so not a high priority for an
      > expensive book purchase.
      >
      > Nina
      >
      > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

      Could you be a teacher?