- ... From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com] Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 12:43 PM To:Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2000View Source
FW: 11/13/2000 Chronicle Report on Community Colleges
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 12:43 PM
Subject: 11/13/2000 Chronicle Report on Community Colleges
The Chronicle of Higher Education's
Weekly Report on COMMUNITY COLLEGES
Here is news of interest to community colleges from our November
17 issue. The Web addresses refer to the online versions of the
* HIGHER EDUCATION ON STATE BALLOTS: In last week's elections,
North Carolina passed a big bond measure for colleges;
Arkansas and South Carolina went separate ways on lotteries.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a03201.htm
* REFERENDUM RESULTS: A roundup of ballot measures affecting
academe in 15 states.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a03301.htm
* COLLEGES PASS ELECTORAL TEST: Higher-education lobbyists fear
legislative gridlock in Congress but believe they may be able
to maneuver through it.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a03101.htm
* NEXT SECRETARY OF EDUCATION: There's no shortage of
suggestions for the post from higher-education officials.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a03601.htm
* THE NEW GOVERNORS: A roundup of the 11 gubernatorial races and
how the results will affect higher education.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a03202.htm
* COMMUNITY COLLEGES' NEW CUSTOMERS: Foreign students find that
admission is relatively easy and education relatively cheap at
American two-year colleges.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a07701.htm
* STATISTICAL SNAPSHOT: According to the new "Open Doors"
report, more students are pursuing academic work abroad, but
their stays are shorter.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a07401.htm
ALSO OF INTEREST TO COMMUNITY COLLEGES:
* TEAMING UP: Six groups of corporations and colleges have
submitted bids for a U.S. Army project to deliver courses to
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a06001.htm
* EDUCATING SAILORS: The U.S. Navy has struck deals with 16
colleges to offer a program of distance-learning degrees.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a06002.htm
* MAKING OVER STATE COLLEGES: Long regarded as the
undistinguished middle child of public higher education, the
institutions now face new competition and pressure to refocus
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a04001.htm
* MODEL CAMPUSES: At a national meeting of professors and deans,
two community colleges were cited as examples of institutions
where shared governance is working.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i12/12a02001.htm
Our Career Network has 62 positions available at two-year
colleges, from the pages of The Chronicle.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/jobs/cc
You can find all of The Chronicle's community-college news on our
special Web page just for community colleges at:
And for all the news of higher education, be sure to visit our
home page at:
If you want to change the address at which you receive this
e-mail message, change which messages you receive, change or reset
your password, or make other changes in your account information,
you can do so online at:
If you have other problems or questions, please send a message to:
Copyright (c) 2000 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.