Re: [SACC-L] Some gems of test answers

  • kent morris
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
      now I don't feel so bad...
      On Oct 26, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

      > I've just finished grading some tests for my biological anth class. I thought I'd share some gems of answers.
      >
      > Describing the characteristics of primates: "Primates have plausible thumbs"
      >
      > Describing genetics: "An allele is the ultimate form of a gene"
      >
      > Describing Darwin's Theory: "Those with flavorable variations produce more offspring"

    • Beverly Bennett
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
        Hi, all,

        I'm going to be teaching Physical/Biological Anth next semester for the first time in some years and need textbook advice.  I'd looked over many textbooks and planned to go with Michael Alan Park's Biological Anthropology, which I'd used in an earlier edition.  But now I find the price is $154 to students, which is awfully expensive here.  There may be an electronic version around $80, and I'd be interested in your experience with relying on an electronic version of any textbook.  And rental may be possible, which has been somewhat popular around here.  I haven't been able to locate much in the way of "brief" or "core" texts and would appreciate hearing of alternatives.  I was interested in Jonathan Marks' Alternative Intro to Biological Anthro, have heard it's good, although I haven't actually seen it myself; but that would be as a supplement.  What do you all think of the Palomar tutorials on this -
        http://anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm%c2%a0 ?  Would it be reasonable to use those tutorials as a base, add Marks as a supplement, and possibly find a few other articles to fill in?

        I'll be really grateful for advice!

        Thanks,
        Beverly
        (Wright Community College, Chicago)

      • Barbara Lass
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
          I have used the Parks book in the past, and I've liked it. As for the cost,
          can you make sure your bookstore gets used copies that cost less? Can you
          give the students the option of renting, buying, OR using the electronic
          version? That way they can weigh the pros/cons of each format with the cost
          of each and make a decision that they think is best for them. I've used the
          Palomar tutorials for an online cultural anthropology class, but I haven't
          tried them for a "regular" class.

          _____

          http://anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm ? Would it be
          reasonable to use those tutorials as a base, add Marks as a supplement, and
          possibly find a few other articles to fill in?

          I'll be really grateful for advice!

          Thanks,
          Beverly
          (Wright Community College, Chicago)

        • Philip Stein
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
            Hi Barbara,

            We use Stein & Rowe, of course. I have been very concerned about the high price of textbooks and served on a taskforce last year that resulted in a new textbook policy for the campus. In doing research I found the following. The prices are for Stein & Rowe. The dollars in parens () is the net cost at the end of semester if the student will sells the copy back to the Bookstore. Prices do fluctuate over time, and these prices are over a year old. But they all should still be the ball park.

            Publisher's list price - $140
            College Bookstore New - $134 ($67)
            College Bookstore Used - $101 ($34)
            Amazon New - $95 ($28)
            College Bookstore Custom New - $90 ($45)
            Coursesmart Digital Rental - $74
            College Bookstore - Custom Used - $68 ($23)
            College Bookstore - Rental New - $58
            College Bookstore - Rental Uses - $44
            Library Reserved - $0

            The College runs its own Bookstore and they are very willing to work with us.

            There are some other obtions, but they can backfire. Stay away from black-and-white and loose-leaf editions. The price is reduced, but students cannot sell them back.

            McGraw-Hill did a custom version of the text for my college. It's the exact text with all chapters intact, but a slightly different cover. The Bookstore agreed to buy back copies at the end of the semester and sell used copies. This has been extremely successful and our students are happy. The only downside is that the Bookstore had to buy a large quantity at one time and we had to agreed to use the current edition until the copies have run out, even if a new edition comes on the market, which it will next year. (At our insistence, our editions are spaced at least 4 years apart.) So if we end up using the current edition for an extra year, by the time we go to the new edition, used copies will be available. Win, win win!

            Phil

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
              Hello,

              I use Our Origins, 2nd edition by Clark Spencer Larsen and published by
              Norton. Our campus bookstore only stocks the 3-hole bunch binder version
              ($75) and the electronic version ($42). Norton has another brief text called
              Essentials of Physical Anthropology (same author) out in a new edition which
              just came across my desk and looks good. One thing I will say about Norton
              is that their Blackboard course packs are very good and contain activities
              and study guides the students find useful.

              For what it's worth, I still have many students who do not buy the book-even
              at those relatively low prices. I think expensive texts are the "kiss of
              death" for physical anthro because at least at my CC the class is not a
              particular requirement for anyone's major so not a high priority for an
              expensive book purchase.

              Nina

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
                Hello.
                A couple of years ago, I mentioned Flat World as a source. They do not have any anthropology texts right now, but I wonder if a group of SACCers would be interested in putting together some texts in various fields? There is a damn good Sociology text they sell right now. The price is right: zero dollars! If students want a paper copy they can order a copy for about $25-30. Yes, it would be time consuming. If anyone is interested, I might be willing to head up a group to start working on one or more of these.
                Tim
                Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                Professor of Anthropology
                Richland College
                12800 Abrams Rd.
                Dallas, TX 75243

                972-238-6959
                tsullivan@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
                  I would be interested.

                  Anj

                  On 2012-10-29 22:01, Tim Sullivan wrote:

                  > Hello.
                  > A couple of years ago, I mentioned Flat World as a source. They do not
                  > have any anthropology texts right now, but I wonder if a group of
                  > SACCers would be interested in putting together some texts in various
                  > fields? There is a damn good Sociology text they sell right now. The
                  > price is right: zero dollars! If students want a paper copy they can
                  > order a copy for about $25-30. Yes, it would be time consuming. If
                  > anyone is interested, I might be willing to head up a group to start
                  > working on one or more of these.
                  > Tim
                  > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                  > Professor of Anthropology
                  > Richland College
                  > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                  > Dallas, TX 75243
                  >
                  > 972-238-6959
                  > tsullivan@... <mailto:tsullivan%40dcccd.edu>
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I use Our Origins, 2nd edition by Clark Spencer Larsen and published by
                  > Norton. Our campus bookstore only stocks the 3-hole bunch binder version
                  > ($75) and the electronic version ($42). Norton has another brief text
                  > called
                  > Essentials of Physical Anthropology (same author) out in a new edition
                  > which
                  > just came across my desk and looks good. One thing I will say about Norton
                  > is that their Blackboard course packs are very good and contain activities
                  > and study guides the students find useful.
                  >
                  > For what it's worth, I still have many students who do not buy the
                  > book-even
                  > at those relatively low prices. I think expensive texts are the "kiss of
                  > death" for physical anthro because at least at my CC the class is not a
                  > particular requirement for anyone's major so not a high priority for an
                  > expensive book purchase.
                  >
                  > Nina
                  >
                  > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Andrew J Petto, PhD
                  Senior Lecturer
                  Department of Biological Sciences
                  University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                  PO Box 413
                  Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                  CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                  Telephone: 414-229-6784
                  FAX: 414-229-3926

                  Could you be a teacher?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
                    I would be interested as well.

                    Prof. J.E. Myers

                    On Oct 29, 2012, at 9:02 PM, Andrew Petto <ajpetto@...> wrote:

                    > I would be interested.
                    >
                    > Anj
                    >
                    > On 2012-10-29 22:01, Tim Sullivan wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello.
                    > > A couple of years ago, I mentioned Flat World as a source. They do not
                    > > have any anthropology texts right now, but I wonder if a group of
                    > > SACCers would be interested in putting together some texts in various
                    > > fields? There is a damn good Sociology text they sell right now. The
                    > > price is right: zero dollars! If students want a paper copy they can
                    > > order a copy for about $25-30. Yes, it would be time consuming. If
                    > > anyone is interested, I might be willing to head up a group to start
                    > > working on one or more of these.
                    > > Tim
                    > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                    > > Professor of Anthropology
                    > > Richland College
                    > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                    > > Dallas, TX 75243
                    > >
                    > > 972-238-6959
                    > > tsullivan@... <mailto:tsullivan%40dcccd.edu>
                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > I use Our Origins, 2nd edition by Clark Spencer Larsen and published by
                    > > Norton. Our campus bookstore only stocks the 3-hole bunch binder version
                    > > ($75) and the electronic version ($42). Norton has another brief text
                    > > called
                    > > Essentials of Physical Anthropology (same author) out in a new edition
                    > > which
                    > > just came across my desk and looks good. One thing I will say about Norton
                    > > is that their Blackboard course packs are very good and contain activities
                    > > and study guides the students find useful.
                    > >
                    > > For what it's worth, I still have many students who do not buy the
                    > > book-even
                    > > at those relatively low prices. I think expensive texts are the "kiss of
                    > > death" for physical anthro because at least at my CC the class is not a
                    > > particular requirement for anyone's major so not a high priority for an
                    > > expensive book purchase.
                    > >
                    > > Nina
                    > >
                    > > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                  • lauratgonzalez
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
                      Hi Tim and everyone,

                      Tad and I were both inspired to do something about the textbook issue as well, after hearing Arnie Schoenberg's talk at the SACC Fest in San Diego. The three of us have been developing ideas and sourcing different formats for an open-source online textbook since then.

                      This discussion is timely, because we are just about at the point in our discussion when we were going to make an announcement seeking an editorial board for the text(s). After the editorial board is determined, then we will be putting the call out for authors for different pieces of the texts. I'm excited to hear that some of you would be interested in collaborating.

                      Having a SACC text (or set of SACC texts) online would be a huge help to community college and other teachers who are looking for low- or no-cost options for their students. Also (and this is the President speaking), it would be great marketing for our organization.

                      If you are interested in serving on an editorial board for one or more of these projects, please contact me (lagonzal@...) or Tad McIlwraith (VP Membership) at mcilwraitht@....

                      Warm regards,
                      Laura

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
                        Andrew:
                        I will add your name to an interest list. I am thinking about a possible 'brown bag' round table at our SACC Fest in Austin.
                        I will stay in touch.
                        Tim
                        Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                        Professor of Anthropology
                        Richland College
                        12800 Abrams Rd.
                        Dallas, TX 75243

                        972-238-6959
                        tsullivan@...
                        >>> Andrew Petto 10/29/12 10:03 PM >>>
                        I would be interested.

                        Anj

                        On 2012-10-29 22:01, Tim Sullivan wrote:

                        > Hello.
                        > A couple of years ago, I mentioned Flat World as a source. They do not
                        > have any anthropology texts right now, but I wonder if a group of
                        > SACCers would be interested in putting together some texts in various
                        > fields? There is a damn good Sociology text they sell right now. The
                        > price is right: zero dollars! If students want a paper copy they can
                        > order a copy for about $25-30. Yes, it would be time consuming. If
                        > anyone is interested, I might be willing to head up a group to start
                        > working on one or more of these.
                        > Tim
                        > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                        > Professor of Anthropology
                        > Richland College
                        > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                        > Dallas, TX 75243
                        >
                        > 972-238-6959
                        > tsullivan@...
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I use Our Origins, 2nd edition by Clark Spencer Larsen and published by
                        > Norton. Our campus bookstore only stocks the 3-hole bunch binder version
                        > ($75) and the electronic version ($42). Norton has another brief text
                        > called
                        > Essentials of Physical Anthropology (same author) out in a new edition
                        > which
                        > just came across my desk and looks good. One thing I will say about Norton
                        > is that their Blackboard course packs are very good and contain activities
                        > and study guides the students find useful.
                        >
                        > For what it's worth, I still have many students who do not buy the
                        > book-even
                        > at those relatively low prices. I think expensive texts are the "kiss of
                        > death" for physical anthro because at least at my CC the class is not a
                        > particular requirement for anyone's major so not a high priority for an
                        > expensive book purchase.
                        >
                        > Nina
                        >
                        > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                      • Andrew J Petto
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
                          Sounds good.

                          Anj Petto

                          ------------
                          Andrew J Petto, PhD
                          Senior Lecturer
                          Department of Biological Sciences
                          University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                          PO Box 413
                          Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                          CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                          Telephone: 414-229-6784
                          FAX: 414-229-3926

                          *************
                          *************

                          -- Pat Conroy
                          The Prince of Tides

                          I will add your name to an interest list. I am thinking about a possible 'brown bag' round table at our SACC Fest in Austin.
                          I will stay in touch.
                          Tim
                          Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                          Professor of Anthropology