Re: [SACC-L] Got a good anthro joke?

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
      Then there was the anthropologist who brought home a kitten. The kitten
      needed a name, so the anthropologist thought she would observe the
      kitten for a while to see what a good name might be.

      She noticed that the cat always sat on the lap of a human whenever one
      was available.

      She named the cat Sami.

      (It's not really a joke; it's a true story, but probably only funny to
      anthropologists.)

      Anj

      --

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer

      Could you be a teacher?

    • Kip Waldo
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
        A coffee shop! Trying to destroy our reputations?

        Not a joke, but one reason we don't rely on questionnaires. Sometimes you can ask the wrong questions - "On a scale of one to 10, what's your favorite color in the alphabet?"

        >>> Andrew Petto <ajpetto@...> 10/08/12 11:24 AM >>>
        So a physicist, a chemist, and an anthropologist are sitting in the
        coffee shop when a fire breaks out in the kitchen.

        Rushing in to help, the physicist and the chemist get into an argument
        about how to put out the fire.

        The physicist says, "The problem is that the materials are above the
        heat of combustion; we must find a way to remove the heat from the system."

        The chemist says, "The problem is that oxygen is supporting the act of
        combustion; we must find a way to remove the supply of oxygen."

        The anthropologist grabs a wet rag, throws it on the fire, and puts it out.

        Anj

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
          Didn't Agatha Christie say that? She married Max Mallowan. It's still a
          great line and perhaps funnier when attributed to the author.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
            Variation: the fire breaks out in a trash can in the faculty dining room at the University of you choice. The chemist closes the window to cut off the oxygen going to the fire. The physicist opens the window to drop the temperature.

            The anthropologist dumps a pitcher of ice water on the fire then dumps the trash can and sorts the burned remains by size, composition, degree of scorching. Etc

            --

            Andrew J Petto, PhD
            Senior Lecturer
            Department of Biological Sciences
            University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
            PO Box 413
            Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
            CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
            Telephone: 414-229-6784
            FAX: 414-229-3926

            Could you be a teacher?

          • Anthony Balzano
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
              The caveman surgeon is ready to start the operation. He turns to the nurse and says "Pass the simple tools."

              The cannibal chief sends his warriors out to get dinner. They catch a missionary and bring him back. The warriors say "Chief we got a missionary. Should we boil him?" The chief says "No you idiots, he's a friar."

              PS: Cannibal jokes are the best; there are lots of clean ones. Larson jokes, of course, are de rigeur.

              Anthony Balzano, PhD
              Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
              Sussex County (NJ) Community College
              1 College Hill Rd.