Re: [SACC-L] Got a good anthro joke?

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
      So a physicist, a chemist, and an anthropologist are sitting in the
      coffee shop when a fire breaks out in the kitchen.

      Rushing in to help, the physicist and the chemist get into an argument
      about how to put out the fire.

      The physicist says, "The problem is that the materials are above the
      heat of combustion; we must find a way to remove the heat from the system."

      The chemist says, "The problem is that oxygen is supporting the act of
      combustion; we must find a way to remove the supply of oxygen."

      The anthropologist grabs a wet rag, throws it on the fire, and puts it out.

      Anj

      --

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer

      Could you be a teacher?

    • Andrew Petto
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
        Then there was the anthropologist who brought home a kitten. The kitten
        needed a name, so the anthropologist thought she would observe the
        kitten for a while to see what a good name might be.

        She noticed that the cat always sat on the lap of a human whenever one
        was available.

        She named the cat Sami.

        (It's not really a joke; it's a true story, but probably only funny to
        anthropologists.)

        Anj

        --

        Andrew J Petto, PhD
        Senior Lecturer
        Department of Biological Sciences
        University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
        PO Box 413
        Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
        CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
        Telephone: 414-229-6784
        FAX: 414-229-3926

        Could you be a teacher?

      • Kip Waldo
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
          A coffee shop! Trying to destroy our reputations?

          Not a joke, but one reason we don't rely on questionnaires. Sometimes you can ask the wrong questions - "On a scale of one to 10, what's your favorite color in the alphabet?"

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
            Didn't Agatha Christie say that? She married Max Mallowan. It's still a
            great line and perhaps funnier when attributed to the author.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
              Variation: the fire breaks out in a trash can in the faculty dining room at the University of you choice. The chemist closes the window to cut off the oxygen going to the fire. The physicist opens the window to drop the temperature.

              The anthropologist dumps a pitcher of ice water on the fire then dumps the trash can and sorts the burned remains by size, composition, degree of scorching. Etc

              --

              Andrew J Petto, PhD
              Senior Lecturer
              Department of Biological Sciences
              University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
              PO Box 413
              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
              CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
              Telephone: 414-229-6784
              FAX: 414-229-3926

              Could you be a teacher?

            • Anthony Balzano
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                The caveman surgeon is ready to start the operation. He turns to the nurse and says "Pass the simple tools."

                The cannibal chief sends his warriors out to get dinner. They catch a missionary and bring him back. The warriors say "Chief we got a missionary. Should we boil him?" The chief says "No you idiots, he's a friar."

                PS: Cannibal jokes are the best; there are lots of clean ones. Larson jokes, of course, are de rigeur.

                Anthony Balzano, PhD
                Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                1 College Hill Rd.