RE: [SACC-L] Got a good anthro joke?

  • Pam Ford
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
      Hi Laura and all the rest of you!

      I have an archaeology story (true) that I often tell before a test. In
      fact, I will be telling this one today.

      It's about George Quimby who was a state archaeologist in Michigan and
      then the Curator of Anthropology at the Burke Museum at the University
      of Washington. He was quite a character when I knew him. He wore
      bowties, most of them made by his wife from "the same fabric as our
      kitchen curtains." He is the only archaeologist that I know of who
      named a ceramic type after a prostitute (Lulu Linear Punctate is the
      label, I think).

      The story he told on himself connected his college years to his later
      professional status. Apparently, in his youth he and his friends were
      on a long Michigan canoe trip that required several days of camping in
      the rain, without opportunity to move on. He said that after he read
      all the soup can labels many times, he got bored and started carving
      designs into the abundant rocks around the camp. Many years later, when
      he became the state archaeologist, he one day received a request for
      permission to excavate at a petroglyph site recently discovered by young
      archaeologists. It was the site he had created while stranded in the
      rain!

      Pam Ford

      Mt. San Jacinto College

      1499 N. State Street

      San Jacinto, CA 92583

      951.487.3725

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
        Here's one (rather tame)--
        To women: "Why would you want an archaeologist to fall in love with
        you?"
        ans: "Because, the older you become, the more he will value you."
        Barry

      • Andrew Petto
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
          So a physicist, a chemist, and an anthropologist are sitting in the
          coffee shop when a fire breaks out in the kitchen.

          Rushing in to help, the physicist and the chemist get into an argument
          about how to put out the fire.

          The physicist says, "The problem is that the materials are above the
          heat of combustion; we must find a way to remove the heat from the system."

          The chemist says, "The problem is that oxygen is supporting the act of
          combustion; we must find a way to remove the supply of oxygen."

          The anthropologist grabs a wet rag, throws it on the fire, and puts it out.

          Anj

          --

          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer

          Could you be a teacher?

        • Andrew Petto
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
            Then there was the anthropologist who brought home a kitten. The kitten
            needed a name, so the anthropologist thought she would observe the
            kitten for a while to see what a good name might be.

            She noticed that the cat always sat on the lap of a human whenever one
            was available.

            She named the cat Sami.

            (It's not really a joke; it's a true story, but probably only funny to
            anthropologists.)

            Anj

            --

            Andrew J Petto, PhD
            Senior Lecturer
            Department of Biological Sciences
            University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
            PO Box 413
            Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
            CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
            Telephone: 414-229-6784
            FAX: 414-229-3926

            Could you be a teacher?

          • Kip Waldo
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
              A coffee shop! Trying to destroy our reputations?

              Not a joke, but one reason we don't rely on questionnaires. Sometimes you can ask the wrong questions - "On a scale of one to 10, what's your favorite color in the alphabet?"

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                Didn't Agatha Christie say that? She married Max Mallowan. It's still a
                great line and perhaps funnier when attributed to the author.

              • apopplestone@neo.rr.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                  Variation: the fire breaks out in a trash can in the faculty dining room at the University of you choice. The chemist closes the window to cut off the oxygen going to the fire. The physicist opens the window to drop the temperature.

                  The anthropologist dumps a pitcher of ice water on the fire then dumps the trash can and sorts the burned remains by size, composition, degree of scorching. Etc

                  --

                  Andrew J Petto, PhD
                  Senior Lecturer
                  Department of Biological Sciences
                  University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                  PO Box 413
                  Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                  CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                  Telephone: 414-229-6784
                  FAX: 414-229-3926

                  Could you be a teacher?

                • Anthony Balzano
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                    The caveman surgeon is ready to start the operation. He turns to the nurse and says "Pass the simple tools."

                    The cannibal chief sends his warriors out to get dinner. They catch a missionary and bring him back. The warriors say "Chief we got a missionary. Should we boil him?" The chief says "No you idiots, he's a friar."

                    PS: Cannibal jokes are the best; there are lots of clean ones. Larson jokes, of course, are de rigeur.

                    Anthony Balzano, PhD
                    Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                    Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                    1 College Hill Rd.