Re: [SACC-L] Got a good anthro joke?

  • kent morris
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
      What about Gary Larson jokes?
      On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Dorothy Davis wrote:

      > My students like me to read excerpts from the annaul Darwin Awards, those
      > people, usually men, that do stupid stuff thsat usually eliminates them
      > from the gene pool. It makes them, the students, feel smart.
      > I also used to put a Larson cartoon on my tests.
      >
      > On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Colleagues,
      >>
      >> I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
      >> got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)
      >>
      >> Laura

    • Pam Ford
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
        Hi Laura and all the rest of you!

        I have an archaeology story (true) that I often tell before a test. In
        fact, I will be telling this one today.

        It's about George Quimby who was a state archaeologist in Michigan and
        then the Curator of Anthropology at the Burke Museum at the University
        of Washington. He was quite a character when I knew him. He wore
        bowties, most of them made by his wife from "the same fabric as our
        kitchen curtains." He is the only archaeologist that I know of who
        named a ceramic type after a prostitute (Lulu Linear Punctate is the
        label, I think).

        The story he told on himself connected his college years to his later
        professional status. Apparently, in his youth he and his friends were
        on a long Michigan canoe trip that required several days of camping in
        the rain, without opportunity to move on. He said that after he read
        all the soup can labels many times, he got bored and started carving
        designs into the abundant rocks around the camp. Many years later, when
        he became the state archaeologist, he one day received a request for
        permission to excavate at a petroglyph site recently discovered by young
        archaeologists. It was the site he had created while stranded in the
        rain!

        Pam Ford

        Mt. San Jacinto College

        1499 N. State Street

        San Jacinto, CA 92583

        951.487.3725

        I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
        got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)

        Laura

      • Barry Kass
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
          Here's one (rather tame)--
          To women: "Why would you want an archaeologist to fall in love with
          you?"
          ans: "Because, the older you become, the more he will value you."
          Barry

        • Andrew Petto
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
            So a physicist, a chemist, and an anthropologist are sitting in the
            coffee shop when a fire breaks out in the kitchen.

            Rushing in to help, the physicist and the chemist get into an argument
            about how to put out the fire.

            The physicist says, "The problem is that the materials are above the
            heat of combustion; we must find a way to remove the heat from the system."

            The chemist says, "The problem is that oxygen is supporting the act of
            combustion; we must find a way to remove the supply of oxygen."

            The anthropologist grabs a wet rag, throws it on the fire, and puts it out.

            Anj

            --

            Andrew J Petto, PhD
            Senior Lecturer

            Could you be a teacher?

          • Andrew Petto
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
              Then there was the anthropologist who brought home a kitten. The kitten
              needed a name, so the anthropologist thought she would observe the
              kitten for a while to see what a good name might be.

              She noticed that the cat always sat on the lap of a human whenever one
              was available.

              She named the cat Sami.

              (It's not really a joke; it's a true story, but probably only funny to
              anthropologists.)

              Anj

              --

              Andrew J Petto, PhD
              Senior Lecturer
              Department of Biological Sciences
              University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
              PO Box 413
              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
              CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
              Telephone: 414-229-6784
              FAX: 414-229-3926

              Could you be a teacher?

            • Kip Waldo
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                A coffee shop! Trying to destroy our reputations?

                Not a joke, but one reason we don't rely on questionnaires. Sometimes you can ask the wrong questions - "On a scale of one to 10, what's your favorite color in the alphabet?"

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                  Didn't Agatha Christie say that? She married Max Mallowan. It's still a
                  great line and perhaps funnier when attributed to the author.

                • apopplestone@neo.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                    Variation: the fire breaks out in a trash can in the faculty dining room at the University of you choice. The chemist closes the window to cut off the oxygen going to the fire. The physicist opens the window to drop the temperature.

                    The anthropologist dumps a pitcher of ice water on the fire then dumps the trash can and sorts the burned remains by size, composition, degree of scorching. Etc

                    --

                    Andrew J Petto, PhD
                    Senior Lecturer
                    Department of Biological Sciences
                    University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                    PO Box 413
                    Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                    CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                    Telephone: 414-229-6784
                    FAX: 414-229-3926

                    Could you be a teacher?

                  • Anthony Balzano
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                      The caveman surgeon is ready to start the operation. He turns to the nurse and says "Pass the simple tools."

                      The cannibal chief sends his warriors out to get dinner. They catch a missionary and bring him back. The warriors say "Chief we got a missionary. Should we boil him?" The chief says "No you idiots, he's a friar."

                      PS: Cannibal jokes are the best; there are lots of clean ones. Larson jokes, of course, are de rigeur.

                      Anthony Balzano, PhD
                      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                      Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                      1 College Hill Rd.