Re: [SACC-L] Got a good anthro joke?

  • Dorothy Davis
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
      My students like me to read excerpts from the annaul Darwin Awards, those
      people, usually men, that do stupid stuff thsat usually eliminates them
      from the gene pool. It makes them, the students, feel smart.
      I also used to put a Larson cartoon on my tests.

      On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Colleagues,
      >
      > I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
      > got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)
      >
      > Laura

    • kent morris
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
        What about Gary Larson jokes?
        On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Dorothy Davis wrote:

        > My students like me to read excerpts from the annaul Darwin Awards, those
        > people, usually men, that do stupid stuff thsat usually eliminates them
        > from the gene pool. It makes them, the students, feel smart.
        > I also used to put a Larson cartoon on my tests.
        >
        > On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> Colleagues,
        >>
        >> I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
        >> got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)
        >>
        >> Laura

      • Pam Ford
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
          Hi Laura and all the rest of you!

          I have an archaeology story (true) that I often tell before a test. In
          fact, I will be telling this one today.

          It's about George Quimby who was a state archaeologist in Michigan and
          then the Curator of Anthropology at the Burke Museum at the University
          of Washington. He was quite a character when I knew him. He wore
          bowties, most of them made by his wife from "the same fabric as our
          kitchen curtains." He is the only archaeologist that I know of who
          named a ceramic type after a prostitute (Lulu Linear Punctate is the
          label, I think).

          The story he told on himself connected his college years to his later
          professional status. Apparently, in his youth he and his friends were
          on a long Michigan canoe trip that required several days of camping in
          the rain, without opportunity to move on. He said that after he read
          all the soup can labels many times, he got bored and started carving
          designs into the abundant rocks around the camp. Many years later, when
          he became the state archaeologist, he one day received a request for
          permission to excavate at a petroglyph site recently discovered by young
          archaeologists. It was the site he had created while stranded in the
          rain!

          Pam Ford

          Mt. San Jacinto College

          1499 N. State Street

          San Jacinto, CA 92583

          951.487.3725

          I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
          got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)

          Laura

        • Barry Kass
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
            Here's one (rather tame)--
            To women: "Why would you want an archaeologist to fall in love with
            you?"
            ans: "Because, the older you become, the more he will value you."
            Barry

          • Andrew Petto
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
              So a physicist, a chemist, and an anthropologist are sitting in the
              coffee shop when a fire breaks out in the kitchen.

              Rushing in to help, the physicist and the chemist get into an argument
              about how to put out the fire.

              The physicist says, "The problem is that the materials are above the
              heat of combustion; we must find a way to remove the heat from the system."

              The chemist says, "The problem is that oxygen is supporting the act of
              combustion; we must find a way to remove the supply of oxygen."

              The anthropologist grabs a wet rag, throws it on the fire, and puts it out.

              Anj

              --

              Andrew J Petto, PhD
              Senior Lecturer

              Could you be a teacher?

            • Andrew Petto
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                Then there was the anthropologist who brought home a kitten. The kitten
                needed a name, so the anthropologist thought she would observe the
                kitten for a while to see what a good name might be.

                She noticed that the cat always sat on the lap of a human whenever one
                was available.

                She named the cat Sami.

                (It's not really a joke; it's a true story, but probably only funny to
                anthropologists.)

                Anj

                --

                Andrew J Petto, PhD
                Senior Lecturer
                Department of Biological Sciences
                University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                PO Box 413
                Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                Telephone: 414-229-6784
                FAX: 414-229-3926

                Could you be a teacher?

              • Kip Waldo
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                  A coffee shop! Trying to destroy our reputations?

                  Not a joke, but one reason we don't rely on questionnaires. Sometimes you can ask the wrong questions - "On a scale of one to 10, what's your favorite color in the alphabet?"

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                    Didn't Agatha Christie say that? She married Max Mallowan. It's still a
                    great line and perhaps funnier when attributed to the author.

                  • apopplestone@neo.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                      Variation: the fire breaks out in a trash can in the faculty dining room at the University of you choice. The chemist closes the window to cut off the oxygen going to the fire. The physicist opens the window to drop the temperature.

                      The anthropologist dumps a pitcher of ice water on the fire then dumps the trash can and sorts the burned remains by size, composition, degree of scorching. Etc

                      --

                      Andrew J Petto, PhD
                      Senior Lecturer
                      Department of Biological Sciences
                      University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                      PO Box 413
                      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                      CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                      Telephone: 414-229-6784
                      FAX: 414-229-3926

                      Could you be a teacher?

                    • Anthony Balzano
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                        The caveman surgeon is ready to start the operation. He turns to the nurse and says "Pass the simple tools."

                        The cannibal chief sends his warriors out to get dinner. They catch a missionary and bring him back. The warriors say "Chief we got a missionary. Should we boil him?" The chief says "No you idiots, he's a friar."

                        PS: Cannibal jokes are the best; there are lots of clean ones. Larson jokes, of course, are de rigeur.

                        Anthony Balzano, PhD
                        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                        Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                        1 College Hill Rd.