Got a good anthro joke?

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
      Colleagues,

      I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)

      Laura
    • Dorothy Davis
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
        My students like me to read excerpts from the annaul Darwin Awards, those
        people, usually men, that do stupid stuff thsat usually eliminates them
        from the gene pool. It makes them, the students, feel smart.
        I also used to put a Larson cartoon on my tests.

        On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Colleagues,
        >
        > I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
        > got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)
        >
        > Laura

      • kent morris
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
          What about Gary Larson jokes?
          On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Dorothy Davis wrote:

          > My students like me to read excerpts from the annaul Darwin Awards, those
          > people, usually men, that do stupid stuff thsat usually eliminates them
          > from the gene pool. It makes them, the students, feel smart.
          > I also used to put a Larson cartoon on my tests.
          >
          > On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Colleagues,
          >>
          >> I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
          >> got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)
          >>
          >> Laura

        • Pam Ford
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
            Hi Laura and all the rest of you!

            I have an archaeology story (true) that I often tell before a test. In
            fact, I will be telling this one today.

            It's about George Quimby who was a state archaeologist in Michigan and
            then the Curator of Anthropology at the Burke Museum at the University
            of Washington. He was quite a character when I knew him. He wore
            bowties, most of them made by his wife from "the same fabric as our
            kitchen curtains." He is the only archaeologist that I know of who
            named a ceramic type after a prostitute (Lulu Linear Punctate is the
            label, I think).

            The story he told on himself connected his college years to his later
            professional status. Apparently, in his youth he and his friends were
            on a long Michigan canoe trip that required several days of camping in
            the rain, without opportunity to move on. He said that after he read
            all the soup can labels many times, he got bored and started carving
            designs into the abundant rocks around the camp. Many years later, when
            he became the state archaeologist, he one day received a request for
            permission to excavate at a petroglyph site recently discovered by young
            archaeologists. It was the site he had created while stranded in the
            rain!

            Pam Ford

            Mt. San Jacinto College

            1499 N. State Street

            San Jacinto, CA 92583

            951.487.3725

            I am seeking anthropology jokes to relax students before testing. Anyone
            got a good one? I think we could all use a few laughs. :)

            Laura

          • Barry Kass
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
              Here's one (rather tame)--
              To women: "Why would you want an archaeologist to fall in love with
              you?"
              ans: "Because, the older you become, the more he will value you."
              Barry

            • Andrew Petto
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                So a physicist, a chemist, and an anthropologist are sitting in the
                coffee shop when a fire breaks out in the kitchen.

                Rushing in to help, the physicist and the chemist get into an argument
                about how to put out the fire.

                The physicist says, "The problem is that the materials are above the
                heat of combustion; we must find a way to remove the heat from the system."

                The chemist says, "The problem is that oxygen is supporting the act of
                combustion; we must find a way to remove the supply of oxygen."

                The anthropologist grabs a wet rag, throws it on the fire, and puts it out.

                Anj

                --

                Andrew J Petto, PhD
                Senior Lecturer

                Could you be a teacher?

              • Andrew Petto
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                  Then there was the anthropologist who brought home a kitten. The kitten
                  needed a name, so the anthropologist thought she would observe the
                  kitten for a while to see what a good name might be.

                  She noticed that the cat always sat on the lap of a human whenever one
                  was available.

                  She named the cat Sami.

                  (It's not really a joke; it's a true story, but probably only funny to
                  anthropologists.)

                  Anj

                  --

                  Andrew J Petto, PhD
                  Senior Lecturer
                  Department of Biological Sciences
                  University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                  PO Box 413
                  Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                  CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                  Telephone: 414-229-6784
                  FAX: 414-229-3926

                  Could you be a teacher?

                • Kip Waldo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                    A coffee shop! Trying to destroy our reputations?

                    Not a joke, but one reason we don't rely on questionnaires. Sometimes you can ask the wrong questions - "On a scale of one to 10, what's your favorite color in the alphabet?"

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                      Didn't Agatha Christie say that? She married Max Mallowan. It's still a
                      great line and perhaps funnier when attributed to the author.

                    • apopplestone@neo.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                        Variation: the fire breaks out in a trash can in the faculty dining room at the University of you choice. The chemist closes the window to cut off the oxygen going to the fire. The physicist opens the window to drop the temperature.

                        The anthropologist dumps a pitcher of ice water on the fire then dumps the trash can and sorts the burned remains by size, composition, degree of scorching. Etc

                        --

                        Andrew J Petto, PhD
                        Senior Lecturer
                        Department of Biological Sciences
                        University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                        PO Box 413
                        Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                        CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                        Telephone: 414-229-6784
                        FAX: 414-229-3926

                        Could you be a teacher?

                      • Anthony Balzano
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                          The caveman surgeon is ready to start the operation. He turns to the nurse and says "Pass the simple tools."

                          The cannibal chief sends his warriors out to get dinner. They catch a missionary and bring him back. The warriors say "Chief we got a missionary. Should we boil him?" The chief says "No you idiots, he's a friar."

                          PS: Cannibal jokes are the best; there are lots of clean ones. Larson jokes, of course, are de rigeur.

                          Anthony Balzano, PhD
                          Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                          Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                          1 College Hill Rd.