the power of words

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2012
      My latest column for 'Anthropology News' is on the power of words, focussing on those used by archaeologists. The argument is that by their choice of words, archaeologists are often complicit in disassociating Native Americans from places that are important to them. I use a recent case of the government giving permission to developers to build on (using the language of archaeology) a "prehistoric midden, which might contain some skeletons". To the local First Nation it is "a village that has been continuously occupied for at least three thousand years and an associated burial ground where their ancestors lay."

      http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2012/10/04/reflecting-on-complicity/

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2012
        this is impressive insight Bob that underlines how important a full five field awareness and applied perspective really is in archaeology...so much limited or even misdirected thought patterns were passed on by archaeologists that i listened to for many years with simplistic so-called scientific and really technical language and perspectives that began and ended in typologies, ranked categories, and theft of artifact meaning from the host culture. (and seemed to go along with a conservative political view and preference for bourbon and chewing tobacco-so I chose to learn from the bourbon)