Seeking practicing anthropologists in SACC

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
      From CoPAPIA, Practicing Anthropologists' section of the AAA

      Excerpt from below:

      "Yet both the AAA/CoPAPIA survey of Masters Graduates in Anthropology and the COSWA survey of practicing anthropologists demonstrate that large numbers of anthropologists disappear from the discipline and from AAA because they feel that the organization is insensitive to their needs and has little to offer to them as professionals. Often they completely de-identify as anthropologists, reclassifying themselves as policy analysts, organizational analysts, social science researchers or systems analysts. When this happens, their colleagues and clients never understand that many of the good things they do come from anthropology."

      If this interests you, read on!

      Laura

      This message invites the Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges to participate in the 2012 CoPAPIA Fifth Annual Section Summit on Practicing Anthropology to beheld at the AAA meeting in San Francisco on Saturday, November 17 from 1:45 to3:30 pm. We ask that you designate an SACC representative to bring your section's vision of the future of practice in your particular domain of anthropology.

      The Section Summit seeks build a community, bringing together academic anthropologists, practitioners and students to generate insights across AAA on the future of practice, to exchange information, share experiences, and provide anthropology students with mentoring and resources to connect to the job market for practicing anthropologists and archaeologists. Each year the Section Summit produces observations and recommendations that help form CoPAPIA's agenda in the coming year.

      The current state of the job market for anthropologists encourages us to embrace the position of practice within anthropology. We need to work together to retain practitioners in anthropology and in AAA if we are to remain connected to the expanding roles that anthropologists take in business, health, environment,human rights activism and many other fields that emerge every day. Yet both the AAA/CoPAPIA survey of Masters Graduates in Anthropology and the COSWA survey of practicing anthropologists demonstrate that large numbers of anthropologists disappear from the discipline and from AAA because they feel that the organization is insensitive to their needs and has little to offer to them as professionals. Often they completely de-identify as anthropologists, reclassifying themselves as policy analysts, organizational analysts, social science researchers or systems analysts. When this happens, their colleagues and clients never understand that many of the good things they do come from anthropology.

      In this year's Section Summit, we wish to explore ways to attract and retain practicing anthropologists in the AAA by linking practitioners and academic anthropologists. We will discuss questions such as:

      · For academics, what is your relationship with practicing anthropologists in your community? Have you ever worked with a practitioner?
      · If you are a practitioner, do you have any contact with anthropology departments in your community? What kind?
      · What things would practitioners need from AAA? What kinds of services would they find professionally useful?
      · What can practitioners do to help build anthropology in their communities and in AAA?

      Please feel free to send more than one representative to the section summit. We would especially like to have students attend. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at maryobutler@.... Please advise us who will attend from your section and have the rep email Mary Butler at the above address. We will be providing additional information to representatives prior to the meetings.

      Thank you, very much. See you in SF.

      Mary

      Mary Odell Butler
      2157 Greenkeepers Court
      Reston, VA 20191
      703 860-6564
      maryobutler@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
        This is most interesting, Laura. It seems to me that SACC would have a lot in common with the Practicing Anthropology group, since community colleges place so much emphasis on preparing students for employment.
        Lloyd