RE: [SACC-L] Fwd: [AN] July and Aug online stats

  • Laura Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2012
      Hi all,

      I just wanted to support Bob's comments with my experience as one of the
      administrators of the facebook page.

      We have just hit 181 "Likes" making the facebook group only 8 members fewer
      than the SACC-L Yahoo Group. When you take into account the members that are
      no longer active on SACC-L but haven't removed their names, I am fairly sure
      that the facebook page is now our more active group. Of course, the depth of
      conversation that we have here on SACC-L hasn't been and can't be replicated
      there easily. But nearly every day, one of the administrators (myself,
      Maren, Shannon, and Autumn) post something relevant to anthro or teaching,
      and our membership is growing steadily. Teachers love information, almost as
      much as they like sharing it.

      One of the ways we use SACC's facebook page is to link to new online issues
      of AN, such as to Bob's archeology columns or to Lloyd's section news.
      Because facebook comes to people, rather than people having to seek out the
      individual articles, those articles get read much more frequently and passed
      on to others by facebook, twitter or email.

      In line with what Bob describes below, what individual members can do to
      maximize our reach online, is to post a link to SACC's publications on their
      own facebook pages, websites, or twitter feeds. A number of members do this
      already, and I'm sure that is what has brought in so many more facebook
      "Likes." You can also post relevant links on our facebook page, even if you
      are not an administrator. This is encouraged! The more we share, the more
      folks will know about us. This will grow our membership and the reach of our
      conferences, and give SACC a larger presence in AAA and beyond.

      For many years, I know I've felt that anthropologists in general don't get
      their voice out there enough into the public sphere. Digital information
      sharing may finally help us do that.

      SACC on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/saccweb

      Laura