Re: [SACC-L] Fwd: [AN] July and Aug online stats

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2012
      Well, Bob, since two cents Canadian is worth 2.02 cents US, I will ponder your suggestions with great care :) Those ideas are good ones and certainly worth trying.

      Lloyd

    • Laura Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2012
        Hi all,

        I just wanted to support Bob's comments with my experience as one of the
        administrators of the facebook page.

        We have just hit 181 "Likes" making the facebook group only 8 members fewer
        than the SACC-L Yahoo Group. When you take into account the members that are
        no longer active on SACC-L but haven't removed their names, I am fairly sure
        that the facebook page is now our more active group. Of course, the depth of
        conversation that we have here on SACC-L hasn't been and can't be replicated
        there easily. But nearly every day, one of the administrators (myself,
        Maren, Shannon, and Autumn) post something relevant to anthro or teaching,
        and our membership is growing steadily. Teachers love information, almost as
        much as they like sharing it.

        One of the ways we use SACC's facebook page is to link to new online issues
        of AN, such as to Bob's archeology columns or to Lloyd's section news.
        Because facebook comes to people, rather than people having to seek out the
        individual articles, those articles get read much more frequently and passed
        on to others by facebook, twitter or email.

        In line with what Bob describes below, what individual members can do to
        maximize our reach online, is to post a link to SACC's publications on their
        own facebook pages, websites, or twitter feeds. A number of members do this
        already, and I'm sure that is what has brought in so many more facebook
        "Likes." You can also post relevant links on our facebook page, even if you
        are not an administrator. This is encouraged! The more we share, the more
        folks will know about us. This will grow our membership and the reach of our
        conferences, and give SACC a larger presence in AAA and beyond.

        For many years, I know I've felt that anthropologists in general don't get
        their voice out there enough into the public sphere. Digital information
        sharing may finally help us do that.

        SACC on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/saccweb

        Laura

        I don't know if all AAA members got this or just editors, but it shows some
        interesting data. Viva digital, I guess! Since our own SACC Notes (and the
        entire SACC website) is available to the public, we have a potential of
        billions of readers around the world. What to do with it?!
        Lloyd

        Begin forwarded message:

        > From: Amy Goldenberg <agoldenberg@...
        <mailto:agoldenberg%40aaanet.org> <mailto:agoldenberg%40aaanet.org>>