RE: [SACC-L] Fwd: [AN] July and Aug online stats

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
      Lloyd, and others:

      One of the things to consider about going digital is the expectation of immediacy, quality, and quantity. It is no longer good enough to have on-line access instead of print. People now expect new information every time they go the web page, even if it only once every few days (The on-line AN, for example, staggers the posting of columns throughout the month to keep people coming back). Also, social media has a very large role to play in getting things read. Even organizations like the AAA use Twitter to let readers know when there is a new post to AN, and many organizations make effective use of Facebook pages.

      I think it would benefit SACC to have SACC members share individual articles, the entire issue, or other related information on their own Facebook pages or twitter accounts or blogs. If they don't have them, they should consider doing so. Readership increases phenomenally when folks share articles, etc. through social media. I sometimes get comments on my columns for AN from non-AAA members from various parts of the world within hours of the initial posting. They have read the column because it was re-posted by someone or some organization on Twitter or Facebook, etc.

      I also think many people are looking for a place to write something on-line which allows them to easily copy and paste into blogs, Twitter, Facebook, course software, etc. An idea that may be worth considering is to make an open call for opinion columnists (much the same as the AN did in 2011) focusing on particular topic areas.

      I think the AN model of transitioning from print to on-line is a good one.

      My two cents (Canadian, which is worth approximately 2.02 cents US this day).

      Bob

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2012
        Well, Bob, since two cents Canadian is worth 2.02 cents US, I will ponder your suggestions with great care :) Those ideas are good ones and certainly worth trying.

        Lloyd

      • Laura Gonzalez
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2012
          Hi all,

          I just wanted to support Bob's comments with my experience as one of the
          administrators of the facebook page.

          We have just hit 181 "Likes" making the facebook group only 8 members fewer
          than the SACC-L Yahoo Group. When you take into account the members that are
          no longer active on SACC-L but haven't removed their names, I am fairly sure
          that the facebook page is now our more active group. Of course, the depth of
          conversation that we have here on SACC-L hasn't been and can't be replicated
          there easily. But nearly every day, one of the administrators (myself,
          Maren, Shannon, and Autumn) post something relevant to anthro or teaching,
          and our membership is growing steadily. Teachers love information, almost as
          much as they like sharing it.

          One of the ways we use SACC's facebook page is to link to new online issues
          of AN, such as to Bob's archeology columns or to Lloyd's section news.
          Because facebook comes to people, rather than people having to seek out the
          individual articles, those articles get read much more frequently and passed
          on to others by facebook, twitter or email.

          In line with what Bob describes below, what individual members can do to
          maximize our reach online, is to post a link to SACC's publications on their
          own facebook pages, websites, or twitter feeds. A number of members do this
          already, and I'm sure that is what has brought in so many more facebook
          "Likes." You can also post relevant links on our facebook page, even if you
          are not an administrator. This is encouraged! The more we share, the more
          folks will know about us. This will grow our membership and the reach of our
          conferences, and give SACC a larger presence in AAA and beyond.

          For many years, I know I've felt that anthropologists in general don't get
          their voice out there enough into the public sphere. Digital information
          sharing may finally help us do that.

          SACC on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/saccweb

          Laura

          I don't know if all AAA members got this or just editors, but it shows some
          interesting data. Viva digital, I guess! Since our own SACC Notes (and the
          entire SACC website) is available to the public, we have a potential of
          billions of readers around the world. What to do with it?!
          Lloyd

          Begin forwarded message:

          > From: Amy Goldenberg <agoldenberg@...
          <mailto:agoldenberg%40aaanet.org> <mailto:agoldenberg%40aaanet.org>>