RE: [SACC-L] Fwd: [AN] July and Aug online stats

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
      Lloyd do you have a sense when will the fall issue will be ready? Ann

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
        Lloyd, and others:

        One of the things to consider about going digital is the expectation of immediacy, quality, and quantity. It is no longer good enough to have on-line access instead of print. People now expect new information every time they go the web page, even if it only once every few days (The on-line AN, for example, staggers the posting of columns throughout the month to keep people coming back). Also, social media has a very large role to play in getting things read. Even organizations like the AAA use Twitter to let readers know when there is a new post to AN, and many organizations make effective use of Facebook pages.

        I think it would benefit SACC to have SACC members share individual articles, the entire issue, or other related information on their own Facebook pages or twitter accounts or blogs. If they don't have them, they should consider doing so. Readership increases phenomenally when folks share articles, etc. through social media. I sometimes get comments on my columns for AN from non-AAA members from various parts of the world within hours of the initial posting. They have read the column because it was re-posted by someone or some organization on Twitter or Facebook, etc.

        I also think many people are looking for a place to write something on-line which allows them to easily copy and paste into blogs, Twitter, Facebook, course software, etc. An idea that may be worth considering is to make an open call for opinion columnists (much the same as the AN did in 2011) focusing on particular topic areas.

        I think the AN model of transitioning from print to on-line is a good one.

        My two cents (Canadian, which is worth approximately 2.02 cents US this day).

        Bob

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2012
          Well, Bob, since two cents Canadian is worth 2.02 cents US, I will ponder your suggestions with great care :) Those ideas are good ones and certainly worth trying.

          Lloyd

        • Laura Gonzalez
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2012
            Hi all,

            I just wanted to support Bob's comments with my experience as one of the
            administrators of the facebook page.

            We have just hit 181 "Likes" making the facebook group only 8 members fewer
            than the SACC-L Yahoo Group. When you take into account the members that are
            no longer active on SACC-L but haven't removed their names, I am fairly sure
            that the facebook page is now our more active group. Of course, the depth of
            conversation that we have here on SACC-L hasn't been and can't be replicated
            there easily. But nearly every day, one of the administrators (myself,
            Maren, Shannon, and Autumn) post something relevant to anthro or teaching,
            and our membership is growing steadily. Teachers love information, almost as
            much as they like sharing it.

            One of the ways we use SACC's facebook page is to link to new online issues
            of AN, such as to Bob's archeology columns or to Lloyd's section news.
            Because facebook comes to people, rather than people having to seek out the
            individual articles, those articles get read much more frequently and passed
            on to others by facebook, twitter or email.

            In line with what Bob describes below, what individual members can do to
            maximize our reach online, is to post a link to SACC's publications on their
            own facebook pages, websites, or twitter feeds. A number of members do this
            already, and I'm sure that is what has brought in so many more facebook
            "Likes." You can also post relevant links on our facebook page, even if you
            are not an administrator. This is encouraged! The more we share, the more
            folks will know about us. This will grow our membership and the reach of our
            conferences, and give SACC a larger presence in AAA and beyond.

            For many years, I know I've felt that anthropologists in general don't get
            their voice out there enough into the public sphere. Digital information
            sharing may finally help us do that.

            SACC on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/saccweb

            Laura

            I don't know if all AAA members got this or just editors, but it shows some
            interesting data. Viva digital, I guess! Since our own SACC Notes (and the
            entire SACC website) is available to the public, we have a potential of
            billions of readers around the world. What to do with it?!
            Lloyd

            Begin forwarded message:

            > From: Amy Goldenberg <agoldenberg@...
            <mailto:agoldenberg%40aaanet.org> <mailto:agoldenberg%40aaanet.org>>