Fwd: [AN] AN changes in 2013

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2012
      (Please forgive any duplication of this message.) As you can see, the Anthropology News publication is undergoing quite an extensive set of changes. As I understand it, a main thrust is to increase the use of the digital version relative to the print version and diversify the functions of each. We'll have more space and flexibility for our section column online, and its contents will be more timely and published whenever something is submitted.

      It also makes our listserv and website more important to overall communications among SACC members and among our general readership and community.

      Lloyd

      Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
      > Section News, which takes up approximately 1/3 of the print issue and, with new sections forming, is slated to become an ever-larger portion. Rather than decreasing word counts, we�re encouraging sections to use listservs and AN�s online columns, so that you can communicate more frequently, with more up-to-date information. Section News in print will be included specifically in print three times a year: Mar/Apr, Jul/Aug, Nov/Dec. This allows the opportunity to put in print a meeting review (in the Mar/Apr issue), a column of their choice in the summer, and annual meeting lead-up in the late fall. The timing of the Nov/Dec column should not be considered as the primary way to advertise upcoming events, but, if you choose to address meeting topics, as a matter of historical record or anticipated events. The primary means of communication for your section meetings should be through your listservs and other online communication, especially as times and locations often change. Please remember�you can submit announcements and columns about your events and research at any time on anthropology-news.org.
      > In addition to being able to publish at any time on anthropology-news.org, contributing editors and columnists will be given a higher word count for their regular columns. Each column can be up to 1,000 words, as opposed to the strict current limit of 700 words for print columns. Any column pulled from the website for print publication will be longer. And each of the three print columns Sections have per year may also be up to 1,000 words.
      >
      > The biggest change is to Section News in print. This new model will help you maintain a voice for your section in AN, and reach out to more people: we can tweet and share your posts easily now, and we�ve started a monthly TOC alert that will include items published on anthropology-news.org. Emilia (who has been helping the op-ed columnists) and I will also be here to help advise you on how to best take advantage of the AN resources.
      >
      > Let me assure you that much thought and discussion has gone into this, and I do not make these changes lightly. To me, AN is a big, intricate, fascinating puzzle, from scheduling content to editing to fitting all the pieces into the print page and onto the website. But the real purpose of AN is to facilitate the publication and sharing of essays about all facets of anthropology with anthropologists, and help raise the profile of anthropology among potential anthropologists, media, and the general public who have an interest in it.
      >
      > This week I�m also sharing this announcement with the Executive Board and Section Assembly. In October print AN, there will be an article about it, and I�m also working with our communications manager to get the word out to membership in general. As always, let me know if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions.

    • lauratgonzalez
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2012
        Great minds think alike, Lloyd!

        Laura