Upcoming changes to AAA's Anthropology News

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2012
      Friends and colleagues,

      Anthropology News will be changing the Section News format soon. As I read it, Section News will be in print three times a year, but we will be allowed 12 online issues. In light of these upcoming changes to AN, I would like to encourage SACC members to contact myself or Lloyd Miller about writing a column for the online version of AN.

      Laura

      Fwd message from Amy Goldenberg, AAA's Managing Editor:

      * Section News, which takes up approximately 1/3 of the print issue and, with new sections forming, is slated to become an ever-larger portion. Rather than decreasing word counts, we're encouraging sections to use listservs and AN's online columns, so that you can communicate more frequently, with more up-to-date information.

      Section News in print will be included specifically in print three times a year: Mar/Apr, Jul/Aug, Nov/Dec. This allows the opportunity to put in print a meeting review (in the Mar/Apr issue), a column of their choice in the summer, and annual meeting lead-up in the late fall. The timing of the Nov/Dec column should not be considered as the primary way to advertise upcoming events, but, if you choose to address meeting topics, as a matter of historical record or anticipated events. The primary means of communication for your section meetings should be through your listservs and other online communication, especially as times and locations often change. Please remember-you can submit announcements and columns about your events and research at any time on anthropology-news.org.

      * In addition to being able to publish at any time on anthropology-news.org, contributing editors and columnists will be given a higher word count for their regular columns. Each column can be up to 1,000 words, as opposed to the strict current limit of 700 words for print columns. Any column pulled from the website for print publication will be longer. And each of the three print columns Sections have per year may also be up to 1,000 words.

      The biggest change is to Section News in print. This new model will help you maintain a voice for your section in AN, and reach out to more people: we can tweet and share your posts easily now, and we've started a monthly TOC alert that will include items published on anthropology-news.org. Emilia (who has been helping the op-ed columnists) and I will also be here to help advise you on how to best take advantage of the AN resources.