FW: About the Mayan Calendar

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
      I don't know if the attachment will come through or not. If not, here's
      a link to a lot of Mayan calendar cartoons.

      http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mayan+calendar+cartoons&qpvt=mayan+c
      alendar+cartoons&FORM=IGRE

    • Beverly Bennett
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
        Thanks so much, Dianne!  I may even put one of these on my syllabus!

        Beverly

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
          Hi Dianne, thanks for posting these cartoons. Some are quite funny.

          I noticed, though, that the round calendar stone used in many of them looks suspiciously like the Aztec calendar stone housed in the National Anthropology Museum in Mexico City. I suppose this distinction is important only to anthropologists, historians and Mexican school children, many of whom, by my observations, learn their national history quite well.

          Cheers!

          Lloyd

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
            Thanks, Dianne. Very interesting.

            This is a creative one reflecting on the Euro:
            http://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/EURO%20Mayan%20Calendar_156089

            On the one hand, I am irked by so many supposedly educated people being so
            willing to make ignorant jokes ("I only had room to get to 2012") about one
            of the primary American cultures, but on the other, this subject is the
            first one most American immigrants have ever learned (or mis-learned) about
            the Mayans. Am I being overly sensitive? It seems to me that Gary Larson's
            anthropological jokes were of a different quality.

            Deborah

            <dianne.chidester@...> wrote:

            > I don't know if the attachment will come through or not. If not,
            > here's a link to a lot of Mayan calendar cartoons.
            >
            > http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mayan+calendar+cartoons&qpvt=mayan
            > +c
            > alendar+cartoons&FORM=IGRE
            >
            > This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
            are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
            destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
            knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
            malware.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
              And good point about Aztec vs. Mayan, Lloyd. Now that you mention it, many
              of the cartoon "calendars" bear no resemblance whatsoever to the round wall
              decoration for tourists that I bought in the Yucatan during our Merida
              meeting! :D

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
                I agree, Deborah. I think Gary Larson's anthropological jokes are inspired. If I recall correctly, he never denigrated indigenous people but often satirized and poked fun at anthropologists or at situational encounters between anthropologists and others. Many if not most anthropology and biology departments reputedly maintained bulletin boards full of Larson cartoons. Perhaps some still do.

                Lloyd

                On Jul 27, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Deborah Shepherd wrote:

                > Thanks, Dianne. Very interesting.
                >
                > This is a creative one reflecting on the Euro:
                > http://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/EURO%20Mayan%20Calendar_156089
                >
                > On the one hand, I am irked by so many supposedly educated people being so
                > willing to make ignorant jokes ("I only had room to get to 2012") about one
                > of the primary American cultures, but on the other, this subject is the
                > first one most American immigrants have ever learned (or mis-learned) about
                > the Mayans. Am I being overly sensitive? It seems to me that Gary Larson's
                > anthropological jokes were of a different quality.
                >
                > Deborah

              • Bob Muckle
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
                  My recollection is that Gary Larson took anthropology and primatology courses in university and was/is married to an archaeologist.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/