Fwd: Does the truth matter?

  • r G Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2012
      I found this column to be thought provoking and a great description of our current political discourse.
      Chuck Ellenbaum

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2012
        Thanks for this, Chuck. As usual, Pitts nailed it! He used to be featured often on the op ed pages of the Des Moines Register, and I would copy and save nearly all of his pieces. I haven't seen him there for a while and note that apparently he's no longer with the Miami Herald. Perhaps that's why. In any case, he's always been one of the columnists I'd most want to chat with over a beer.
        Lloyd

        On Jul 3, 2012, at 11:37 PM, r G Ellenbaum wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > To score Palin for being unfactual, then, is to bring boxing gloves to a knife fight. The death panels are not about fact. They are about fear and the shameless manipulation thereof for political gain.
        > >
        > > The result of which is that Americans increasingly occupy two realities, one based on the conviction that facts matter, the other on the notion that facts are only what you need them to be in a given moment. That ought to give all of us pause because it leads somewhere we should not want to go. When two realities divide one people, the outcome seems obvious.
        > >
        > > They cannot remain one people.
        > >
        > > Tribune Media Services
        > >
        > > Leonard Pitts is a syndicated columnist based in Washington, D.C.

      • Frank Lagana
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2012
          The truth never matters to people who think they're fighting some sort of holy war.
          A few weeks ago I stopped into a bar somewhere in southern Illinois for a quick beer. There were five citizens (definitely not one percenters) discussing what they're going to do if Obama wins in November . The usual litany of right wing complaints(he was born in Kenya, he's really a Muslim, he's setting up death panels, etc). If Obama does win, there's going to be another civil war and they'll be there on the front lines with their guns. I was outnumbered so didn't dare to say a word.
          Just loose barroom talk? Probably...but
          it was still rather disturbing.

          Frank

          Sent from my iPhone