Alan Alda to the rescue

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
      I just saw a piece on the PBS News Hour tonight that showcased Alan Alda's efforts to make science more understandable to young people, and apparently he's been quite successful, according to the young students interviewed and observed on the program. Maybe there's hope!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
        Alda used to do a Smithsonian-something television show with 3 or 4 segments
        in an hour. (Ann will know!) He had one on primate intelligence that I
        showed to my students once.

        Deborah

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
          I think you're thing of the Scientific American Frontiers show he did for PBS (http://www.pbs.org/saf/). I use some of those episodes in my various classes. There are a couple dealing with primate behavior ("Prime-Time Primates", "Chimp Minds" and "Chimps R US"), and a number that I show in archaeology ("Coming Into America", "Unearthing Secret America" and "The Secret Canyon"). The episodes are viewable from the PBS website, and some can be purchased for a couple of bucks through iTunes (I load them onto my iPad, so I can show them whenever it seems appropriate). They're engaging, and Alda does the "wow! that's so cool" thing without it being annoying. As my students would say, I <3 Alan Alda.

          Katrina
          --
          Katrina Worley

          History: special people in special places at special times.
          Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
            As I reflect from retirement, I discovered that though I loved anthropology,
            I had begun to see myself as an educator first...then I realized that
            viewing myself as an "anthropologist" and as a "professor" in an "academic
            culture" too often presented me with cultural barriers toward learning and
            educating...barriers which slowed the learning process for myself and
            students. Cultures of course, present us with beliefs, values and identities
            which often resist fast-paced change and adaptive learning.

            I suggest that resistance toward math and science in the US is in part a
            cultural problem with both students and faculty on all levels, beginning in
            K-12...in India, math is taught as a language necessary for understanding
            science and taught early on, without isolation from other subjects, by
            teachers that know what they are doing. In the U.S., if you are lucky enough
            to get a trained math teacher, you get her or him in junior high school and
            the subject is often isolated from other subjects. Our academic culture,
            our educational culture, and our professional teaching culture all seem to
            deny the need for "teachers" to be fluent in the language, methods,
            techniques, practices and applied theories of education. (I would add
            multicultural education, of course) In my fourth year of teaching at
            community college, I found myself in an applied education doctoral program
            that was pragmatic and learning/learner focused. It was amazing, but as it
            was applied, I found my that my doctorate was disrespected by my
            'colleagues' in the academy, even in SACC. I tried to share some of the
            applied research papers that I wrote, without much success until I just
            shared some of the techniques that worked with some new faculty...they found
            success and it spread. When I did workshops on new ways to understand race
            and human variation, I was shocked to find that the strongest resistance to
            learning came from ministers, social workers and TEACHERS. It is about
            power over the process which we believe is owned by US. ...SO, THOSE OF YOU
            WHO DENY THE VALIDITY OF WEB LEARNING...AS WELL AS THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT TO
            SEE SUCCESSFUL TEACHING OF MATH AND NOW SCIENCE, AND EVEN HISTORY...PLEASE
            EXPLORE KHAN ACADEMY...I HAVE DONE A NUMBER OF HIS TECHNIQUES (BEFORE
            READING THEM) AND FOUND THAT THEY WORKED, THOUGH I ALSO FOUND THAT I COULD
            NOT FIND PROFS WHO WOULD LISTEN TO THE RESULTS. TRY IT, AND YOU WILL LIKE
            IT. Here is a sample to explore...it is aimed at K-12, but the methods are
            perfect for web learning in community colleges, and show how to make web
            learning more effective than most classroom learning...supportive contact
            and timely learning support by the prof. is absolutely necessary, of course.
            How to use this toolkit

            If you're interested in using Khan Academy at your school or in your
            classroom, then these resources are for you.

            Khan Academy can be used in many wonderful and creative ways, and we're
            always thrilled to hear about how it's helping to enhance student learning.
            Many of the suggestions in the toolkit come from classrooms currently
            piloting Khan Academy, and while they reflect our best knowledge of KA in
            classrooms to-date, other techniques may work better in your classroom. As
            you discover methods that work well for you, please add them to our FAQs!

            Depending on how you're planning to use Khan Academy in your classroom,
            different parts of the toolkit may be most useful to you.

            Supplemental models: If you're interested in using Khan Academy as a
            supplemental resource (e.g., in a learning lab, as an optional or additional
            homework tool, as a curriculum resource), check out our sections on setting
            up accounts, keys to success, instructional strategies, using data, and our
            FAQs.

            Individualized units: In our pilot, some teachers use Khan Academy to create
            individualized units, in which students cover grade-level standards at their
            own pace. If you're interested in using Khan Academy in this way, all of the
            resources here should be helpful to you. In particular, check out our
            sections on classroom culture, using data, and individualized units.

            Future models: We're really excited about working with teachers and
            administrators who want to challenge some of the basic assumptions in
            education to meet each student's needs. The possibilities are endless, but
            some of the ideas we're hoping to see:

            a.. Mixed-age classes
            b.. Self-paced learning, even outside of grade-level standards (i.e.,
            students could learn topics below or above grade level, depending on their
            needs)
            c.. Significant use of real-world problem-solving and meaningful
            project-based learning
            d.. Cross-disciplinary courses

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
              Alan Alda hosted Scientific American Frontiers. I happened to walk by Dennis Stanford's office a few years ago when Alda was interviewing him.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
                Yes, that's right. The heat fried my brain several days ago. Hope everyone
                is doing okay.

                Deborah