Re: [SACC-L] Darwin still losing...

  • J Myers
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 28 3:28 PM
      Could you send the pdf to me as well.

      ________________________________
      From: Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...>
      To: Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...>
      Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:01 AM
      Subject: [SACC-L] Darwin still losing...

      If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in Nation Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific thinking generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of it.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 28 7:12 PM
        Sure, Tim, here it is.

        On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:

        > Hey Lloyd.
        > Hope your summer is going well. Can you send me that pdf? I am constantly looking for items that will shed light on our current state of ignorance. Sometimes they help me think of 'new angles' for presenting ideas to students, sometimes they simply provide an item for students to read and ponder, and sometimes they simply give me an excuse (well, not that I really need one) to go open a beer, sit on my patio and consider options for when I retire in a few more years.
        > Thanks,
        > Tim
        > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
        > Professor of Anthropology
        > Richland College
        > 12800 Abrams Rd.
        > Dallas, TX 75243
        >
        > 972-238-6959
        > tsullivan@...
        > If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in Nation Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific thinking generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of it.
        >
        > Lloyd

      • Frank Lagana
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 29 10:17 AM
          What really irritates me is that these anti-evolution proposals are always presented as fostering "critical thinking". If critical thinking is really so important, why on earth would anyone be a republican?

          Frank

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 29 10:32 AM
            Ha, good point, Frank. It also rankles me that so many from the media, as well as some who craft surveys, refer to the issue as "believing in evolution." This phrasing just reinforces the idea that evolution, like creationism, gods, or magic, is just something you either do or do not believe in. No one has yet asked me if I believe in "atoms" or "science." Maybe it will come to that.

            Lloyd

            On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Frank Lagana wrote:

            > What really irritates me is that these anti-evolution proposals are always presented as fostering "critical thinking". If critical thinking is really so important, why on earth would anyone be a republican?
            >
            > Frank
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Sure, Tim, here it is.
            > >

            > > On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:
            > >
            > >> Hey Lloyd.
            > >> Hope your summer is going well. Can you send me that pdf? I am constantly looking for items that will shed light on our current state of ignorance. Sometimes they help me think of 'new angles' for presenting ideas to students, sometimes they simply provide an item for students to read and ponder, and sometimes they simply give me an excuse (well, not that I really need one) to go open a beer, sit on my patio and consider options for when I retire in a few more years.
            > >> Thanks,
            > >> Tim
            > >> Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
            > >> Professor of Anthropology
            > >> Richland College
            > >> 12800 Abrams Rd.
            > >> Dallas, TX 75243
            > >>
            > >> 972-238-6959
            > >> tsullivan@...
            > >> If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in Nation Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific thinking generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of it.
            > >>
            > >> Lloyd

          • Andrew Petto
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 29 10:41 AM
              Leaving aside the political comment for a moment ...

              Part of the problem is that most people associate critical thinking with
              criticizing positions they do not like (or agree with). They would not
              have a clue as to how to do real critical thinking --- the kind that is
              the foundation of first-rate scholarship, for example.

              The "critical thinking" component of these proposals is the bastard
              child of the former "evidences against" evolution proposals in the 80s
              and 90s. The presumption is that if one could just find some issue or
              item in which evolution did not have an answer (yet), then the whole
              thing would collapse.

              This reflects 2 things: (a) a misunderstanding of science in general and
              evolution in particular; and (2) an approach to biblical interpretation
              that if any of it is not true or erroneous, then none of it can be true.

              So, the idea is for teachers and students to find chinks in the armor
              and criticize evolutionary science so that it will come tumbling down
              ... with the expectation that creationism will be true by default if
              evolution is false.

              Plus ca change ....

              Anj

              On 6/29/2012 12:17, Frank Lagana wrote:

              > What really irritates me is that these anti-evolution proposals are
              > always presented as fostering "critical thinking". If critical
              > thinking is really so important, why on earth would anyone be a
              > republican?
              >
              > Frank
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...
              > <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>> wrote:
              >
              > > Sure, Tim, here it is.
              > >

              > > On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:
              > >
              > >> Hey Lloyd.
              > >> Hope your summer is going well. Can you send me that pdf? I am
              > constantly looking for items that will shed light on our current state
              > of ignorance. Sometimes they help me think of 'new angles' for
              > presenting ideas to students, sometimes they simply provide an item
              > for students to read and ponder, and sometimes they simply give me an
              > excuse (well, not that I really need one) to go open a beer, sit on my
              > patio and consider options for when I retire in a few more years.
              > >> Thanks,
              > >> Tim
              > >> Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
              > >> Professor of Anthropology
              > >> Richland College
              > >> 12800 Abrams Rd.
              > >> Dallas, TX 75243
              > >>
              > >> 972-238-6959
              > >> tsullivan@... <mailto:tsullivan%40dcccd.edu>
              > >> If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in
              > Nation Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific
              > thinking generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of it.
              > >>
              > >> Lloyd

              Andrew J Petto, PhD
              Senior Lecturer
              Department of Biological Sciences
              University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
              PO Box 413
              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
              CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
              Telephone: 414-229-6784
              FAX: 414-229-3926

              Could you be a teacher?

            • kent morris
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 29 10:48 AM
                LOL

              • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 29 10:58 AM
                  One of the things I try to teach in all my courses (both anthro & soc)
                  is the difference between science and religion.

                  One of the questions I ask my students is, "What happens to a religion
                  when no one believes in it?" I use the Shakers as an example. The
                  students find the idea of total celibacy as part of religious practice
                  fascinating! Someone usually points out that there are no Shakers in
                  the classroom! (Nor any willing converts!)

                  --Dianne

                  Ha, good point, Frank. It also rankles me that so many from the media,
                  as well as some who craft surveys, refer to the issue as "believing in
                  evolution." This phrasing just reinforces the idea that evolution, like
                  creationism, gods, or magic, is just something you either do or do not
                  believe in. No one has yet asked me if I believe in "atoms" or
                  "science." Maybe it will come to that.

                  Lloyd

                  On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Frank Lagana wrote:

                  > What really irritates me is that these anti-evolution proposals are
                  always presented as fostering "critical thinking". If critical thinking
                  is really so important, why on earth would anyone be a republican?

                  > Frank
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Sure, Tim, here it is.
                  > >

                  > > On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Hey Lloyd.
                  > >> Hope your summer is going well. Can you send me that pdf? I am
                  constantly looking for items that will shed light on our current state
                  of ignorance. Sometimes they help me think of 'new angles' for
                  presenting ideas to students, sometimes they simply provide an item for
                  students to read and ponder, and sometimes they simply give me an excuse
                  (well, not that I really need one) to go open a beer, sit on my patio
                  and consider options for when I retire in a few more years.
                  > >> Thanks,
                  > >> Tim
                  > >> Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                  > >> Professor of Anthropology
                  > >> Richland College
                  > >> 12800 Abrams Rd.
                  > >> Dallas, TX 75243
                  > >>
                  > >> 972-238-6959
                  > >> tsullivan@...
                  > >> If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in
                  Nation Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific
                  thinking generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of
                  it.

                  > >> Lloyd

                  > > Find out more at our web site http://saccweb.net/ Yahoo! Groups
                  Links

                • kent morris
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 29 11:20 AM
                    cute...
                    On Jun 29, 2012, at 10:58 AM, <dianne.chidester@...> wrote:

                    > One of the things I try to teach in all my courses (both anthro & soc)
                    > is the difference between science and religion.
                    >
                    > One of the questions I ask my students is, "What happens to a religion
                    > when no one believes in it?" I use the Shakers as an example. The
                    > students find the idea of total celibacy as part of religious practice
                    > fascinating! Someone usually points out that there are no Shakers in
                    > the classroom! (Nor any willing converts!)
                    >
                    > --Dianne

                  • Anthropmor
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 29 11:36 AM
                      You know, I try to do this in a non threatening way, as well- and it still is pissing some of the students off. AP is correect about 'critical thinking" being mistaken for "criticizing the life out of an opponent"..And "we" are the opponent.
                      One of the staff members of the college found sociology 'too critical of America"... and I have had students try to use the King James Version of the Bible as a source in Anthropology.
                      And not for stories, but, for.. like...- a reference on evolution.
                      ye gads
                      Mike Pavlik

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 29 5:40 PM
                        I had many students who came to me and said a variation of, "Just so you
                        know, I don't believe in evolution..." I would stop them right there and
                        tell them that there is no "belief" about evolution. It is just a matter of
                        honest and careful observation. I think many of them distrusted me for that
                        startling statement, but it made some of them think a little.

                        Deborah

                        Ha, good point, Frank. It also rankles me that so many from the media, as
                        well as some who craft surveys, refer to the issue as "believing in
                        evolution." This phrasing just reinforces the idea that evolution, like
                        creationism, gods, or magic, is just something you either do or do not
                        believe in. No one has yet asked me if I believe in "atoms" or "science."
                        Maybe it will come to that.

                        Lloyd

                        On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Frank Lagana wrote:

                        > What really irritates me is that these anti-evolution proposals are always
                        presented as fostering "critical thinking". If critical thinking is really
                        so important, why on earth would anyone be a republican?

                        > Frank
                        >
                        > Sent from my iPhone
                        >
                        > On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Sure, Tim, here it is.
                        > >

                        > > On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Hey Lloyd.
                        > >> Hope your summer is going well. Can you send me that pdf? I am
                        constantly looking for items that will shed light on our current state of
                        ignorance. Sometimes they help me think of 'new angles' for presenting ideas
                        to students, sometimes they simply provide an item for students to read and
                        ponder, and sometimes they simply give me an excuse (well, not that I really
                        need one) to go open a beer, sit on my patio and consider options for when I
                        retire in a few more years.
                        > >> Thanks,
                        > >> Tim
                        > >> Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                        > >> Professor of Anthropology
                        > >> Richland College
                        > >> 12800 Abrams Rd.
                        > >> Dallas, TX 75243
                        > >>
                        > >> 972-238-6959
                        > >> tsullivan@...
                        > >> If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in Nation
                        Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific thinking
                        generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of it.

                        > >> Lloyd

                      • Philip Stein
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 30 8:49 AM
                          There is a great deal of lip service given to critical thinking, but in reality there is very little of it in the classroom, except, perhaps, in the sciences. At my college we have very little if any anti-evolution sentiments, at least overtly expressed. Maybe it's the California sunshine. But I'm shocked at the the stuff people accept. And I'm not just talking about students. I belong to a social science discussion group and I am constantly surprise at the lack of understanding of scientic thinking. For example, people with PhDs (outside of the sciences) accept the illogic of the climate change deniers. I'm afraid that the rampent scientific illiteracy in the US will eventually cause the US to lose it's edge in science and technology. Next time you have an opportunity to walk into a research lab, look around. Often the majority of scientists working in these labs have been trained outside of the US.

                          Deborah, you're right on. We're not talking about belief systems. I tell people that it really doesn't matter what you believe, whether it's the world is flat, the moon is made of green cheese, or the world was created 10,000 years. What is, is! And it doesn't really matter if you choose to belief otherwise as a matter of faith. It really doesn't change reality. And I prefer to operate in reality.

                          Phil

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 30 9:57 AM
                            My experience has been similar, Phil. I've found that people with degrees in English especially seem to rely more on persuasion�sort of like op ed newspaper commentary�than on scientific reasoning based on empirical evidence. However, I've also observed that considerable numbers of people in the "hard" sciences have difficulty applying their scientific methods to social science matters. (A physics colleague used to joke with me that physics was a hard science while anthropology was one of the "soft" sciences. My retort was always that anthropology was instead one of the "difficult" sciences.)

                            One of my reservations about the recent push for STEM education (several corporations sponsor attractive TV commercials emphasizing the study of science, technology, engineering and math to meet workforce needs) is that the "difficult," nuanced applications of critical scientific empiricism in the social sciences might get short shrift in funding and curriculum. I believe we particularly need social science K-12 education in order to increase the number of graduates who can make the connections and apply scientific thinking to the human condition and the realities of life on earth.

                            Obviously, this is a political as well as an educational matter. It's no accident that many right-wing extremists write off social science education simply as liberal propaganda. The real question for the public to grapple with, I believe, is: Why indeed do so many social science findings concord with liberal political reality? Must be something to that stuff if so many scholars, teachers and students in the social sciences come up with similar conclusions.

                            And, sadly, this very reality is a major obstacle to improved education. As a colleague reminded me earlier this morning, it's much more profitable to sell products and political opinions to ignorant people.

                            Lloyd

                          • Anthropmor
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 30 1:25 PM
                              think it is because their governments don't cripple them with debt?
                              Mike Pavlik

                              US to lose it's edge in science and technology. Next time you have an opportunity to walk into a research lab, look around. Often the majority of scientists working in these labs have been trained outside of the US.

                              Ha, good point, Frank. It also rankles me that so many from the media, as
                              well as some who craft surveys, refer to the issue as "believing in
                              evolution." This phrasing just reinforces the idea that evolution, like
                              creationism, gods, or magic, is just something you either do or do not
                              believe in. No one has yet asked me if I believe in "atoms" or "science."
                              Maybe it will come to that.

                              Lloyd

                              On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Frank Lagana wrote:

                              > What really irritates me is that these anti-evolution proposals are always
                              presented as fostering "critical thinking". If critical thinking is really
                              so important, why on earth would anyone be a republican?

                              > Frank
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Sure, Tim, here it is.
                              > >

                              > > On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> Hey Lloyd.
                              > >> Hope your summer is going well. Can you send me that pdf? I am
                              constantly looking for items that will shed light on our current state of
                              ignorance. Sometimes they help me think of 'new angles' for presenting ideas
                              to students, sometimes they simply provide an item for students to read and
                              ponder, and sometimes they simply give me an excuse (well, not that I really
                              need one) to go open a beer, sit on my patio and consider options for when I
                              retire in a few more years.
                              > >> Thanks,
                              > >> Tim
                              > >> Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                              > >> Professor of Anthropology
                              > >> Richland College
                              > >> 12800 Abrams Rd.
                              > >> Dallas, TX 75243
                              > >>
                              > >> 972-238-6959
                              > >> tsullivan@...
                              > >> If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in Nation
                              Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific thinking
                              generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of it.

                              > >> Lloyd

                            • Philip Stein
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 30 2:17 PM
                                Possibly. But also because education is valued and the school day and school year are longer. Too many of our students are turned off by math and science in K-12. My grandson, who just completed 3rd grade, goes to a very fine public school. They do a very good job in reading, but not so well in math. Someone in education told us that most K-12 teachers are not well versed in math. Last year I heard a speaker refer to a study that the turning point is Algebra 2. Before that age students are facinated with science. At that point in time hoards of students are turned off. I teach physical anthropology, and I used to derive the Hardy-Weinberg equation and do simple problems--very elementary algebra. Now I skip on by.

                                Phil

                                think it is because their governments don't cripple them with debt?
                                Mike Pavlik

                                US to lose it's edge in science and technology. Next time you have an opportunity to walk into a research lab, look around. Often the majority of scientists working in these labs have been trained outside of the US.

                                Ha, good point, Frank. It also rankles me that so many from the media, as
                                well as some who craft surveys, refer to the issue as "believing in
                                evolution." This phrasing just reinforces the idea that evolution, like
                                creationism, gods, or magic, is just something you either do or do not
                                believe in. No one has yet asked me if I believe in "atoms" or "science."
                                Maybe it will come to that.

                                Lloyd

                                On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Frank Lagana wrote:

                                > What really irritates me is that these anti-evolution proposals are always
                                presented as fostering "critical thinking". If critical thinking is really
                                so important, why on earth would anyone be a republican?

                                > Frank
                                >
                                > Sent from my iPhone
                                >
                                > On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Sure, Tim, here it is.
                                > >

                                > > On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:
                                > >
                                > >> Hey Lloyd.
                                > >> Hope your summer is going well. Can you send me that pdf? I am
                                constantly looking for items that will shed light on our current state of
                                ignorance. Sometimes they help me think of 'new angles' for presenting ideas
                                to students, sometimes they simply provide an item for students to read and
                                ponder, and sometimes they simply give me an excuse (well, not that I really
                                need one) to go open a beer, sit on my patio and consider options for when I
                                retire in a few more years.
                                > >> Thanks,
                                > >> Tim
                                > >> Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                                > >> Professor of Anthropology
                                > >> Richland College
                                > >> 12800 Abrams Rd.
                                > >> Dallas, TX 75243
                                > >>
                                > >> 972-238-6959
                                > >> tsullivan@...
                                > >> If you're on SACC-L and would like the attachment (an essay in Nation
                                Magazine on student ignorance about evolution and scientific thinking
                                generally), email me individually and I'll send you a .pdf of it.

                                > >> Lloyd

                              • Anthropmor
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 30 3:00 PM
                                  But also because education is valued and the school day and school year are longer. Too many of our students are turned off by math and science in K-12.

                                  I need to point out that those 2 statements don't necessarily belong together; and every time I hear about the school year, and/or day being longer, I find confliciting data.
                                  The Indians I've talked to agree with education being valued, but the "longer" school day is parents enrolling kids in extra classes...for 1 example.
                                  Also, the value of education is shown by pay and respect- neither one of which is abundant here.
                                  I've had the same probelms teaching Hardy Weinberg- I'm only average at math myself, but Holy Cow! - many people were stymied by it. Except for the 10 percent who were bored... I don't know, I guess I'm grumpy about this because my attempts at starting an Intro to Physical / Hum,an Origins class and an Intro to Archaeology at my current place is being met with resistance

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 1, 2012
                                    I empathize with your grumpiness over curriculum difficulties. In the late 60s when I began teaching, I was able to offer both an intro course on human origins and evolution that included biological anth and archaeology, and one on cultural with an ethnographic component. By the late 70s, however, the human origins died (students deemed it simply too difficult--"too technical") and I settled for teaching what I could of those two sub-disciplines in a five-field intro to anthro course. The cultural course survived.

                                    Though Phil is right about the decline in math and science education, I'm inclined to believe that higher education in general was becoming too much for increasing numbers of entering community college students. I didn't include any real math in the course, but the details of classification and taxonomy for both biological forms and archaeological finds seemed "just not worth students' efforts." Though I'm a cultural anthropologist, I loved teaching that course, and I feel strongly that the culture and biology of humanity's first 99 plus percent of existence on the planet should be an essential part of an education. And our discipline is the only place students can get it!

                                    So I wish you the best of luck. Perhaps America will begin to tackle its educational problems in earnest before you either give up in frustration or retire.

                                    Lloyd

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 2, 2012
                                      Makes me think of an NPR interview recently in which a Congressman said there is little if any reflection taking place in Congress where members stop, think, and talk about where the country is going or should be going and about the issues facing us.