Bob Muckle has an opinion

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2012
      Apparently, I am getting a bit of a reputation on having opinions, and becoming an activist. Mostly, that has come from my incessant posts on Twitter about the rights of First Nations people, the protection of signficant archaeological and First Nation sacred sites, and ....lousy government.

      Some of my opinions about the federal gov't (in Canada) comes out in my latest column for the on-line Anthropology News. The topic is the devasting cuts to Parks Canada archaeology, and for which the Society for Historical Archaeology and the Society for American Archaeology have taken up the cause.

      If any of this interest you, take a look.

      http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2012/06/06/parks-canada-archaeology-being-decimated/

      It is a sad time for archaeology in Canada. And it is probably going to get sadder. The federal government has no use whatsoever for archaeology (or history) because they are trying to re-invent the past. And a new federal bill is tearing apart the environmental assessment process, which will mean less archaeology (and not even knowing what we wil be losing as oil pipelines and such spread through the north)