From Bob Muckle re. Archeology Field School blog

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2012
      For those who might be interestedÂ….

      I am now nearing the end of Week 2 of a seven week archaeology field school. We are excavating a Japanese logging camp which was probably occupied c. 1919 – 1922. One of my objectives is to get a good understanding of the camp layout so I can essentially reconstruct how the camp may have looked in 1920 (eg. Japanese bathhouse, gardens, cabins, trash dumps). I am also trying to find data to support my hypothesis that after its initial abandonment as a logging camp about 1922, a small group of Japanese continued to live secretly at the camp until WW II internment.

      If any of this interests you, consider following the blog a student is doing on the project. There are daily updates on the blog (Mon-Fri), with lots of photos.

      http://archaeologyfieldschool2012.blogspot.ca/

      Feel free to pass the info about the blog on to colleagues, students, or anybody else who might be interested in how a field school works, how an archaeology project works, Asian-American history, public education, or whatever.

      Or consider following me on twitter, where I occasionally make a comment on the project (twitter.com/bobmuckle), or friend me or whatever one calls it on Facebook, where I usually make a daily comment and often include a photo.