Re: [SACC-L] Best Archaeology Books for Library?

  • Anthropmor
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2012
      I agree with Bob Muckles suggestions, and would addd the Encyclopdedia of Human Evolution, from Cambridge press.
      Mike Pavlik

      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2012
        I second Bob's list, and really recommend the Renfrew book, as it has so many shorter readings in it on the various specialties within archaeology. There is the Out of the Past series for Mesoamerican interests (I recall that from my course resources when I took intro to archaeology back in the day). Cambridge, Altamira, Left Coast all have great collections including shorter books focused on areas of specializations.

        Might I also suggest checking museum books/items for general audiences? These latter sources (if selected with this plan in mind) could work for introduction to cultural anthropology classes too (like ones on material cultural artifacts, etc.) If you can select a/v too, there are videos for the Out of the Past series as well as a lot of documentaries germane to archaeology.

        Let us know what you decide to go with if others are interested, as I know I would be. I'm in the preliminary thinking stages of making the push for adding courses at my cc as well as starting an archaeology/museum/anthropology club because there's so much interest but only introduction to cultural offered as of now.

        -----

        Tangentially, belated congrats, Dianne. Sounds like your student is doing quite well with pursuing further education.

        Alison

        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2012
          Suggested Readings in Archaeology

          The following is a list of some of the major introductory books and journals in the field. Their bibliographies are extensive and should be consulted by those wishing more detailed information.

          Educators' Resources

          Archaeology in the Classroom. A Resource Guide by State for Teachers and Parents. 2nd edition. 2001. Compiled and edited by Margo Muhl Davis. Archaeological Institute of America.

          Archaeologists at Work: A Teacher's Guide to Classroom Archaeology. 2nd ed. 1996. 1st ed. 1990. Order from Alexandria Archaeology, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA 22314; (703) 838-4399.

          Clark, Joelle G. "Some Guidance from the PEC � Should Kids Dig?" The SAA Archaeological Record 16(5):9-11.

          Selig, Ruth Osterweis, London, Marilyn R., and P. Ann Kaupp, eds. Anthropology Explored: The Best of Smithsonian AnthroNotes. 2nd ed. Smithsonian Institution Press, 2004. (Includes 10 chapters under the heading, "Archaeologists Examine the Past.")

          Smardz, Karolyn and Smith, Shelley J., eds. The Archaeology Education Handbook: Sharing the Past with Kids. Altamira Publishers, 2000.

          Smith, Shelley J.; Moe, Jeanne M.; Letts, Kelly A.; and Paterson, Danielle M. Intrigue of the Past: A Teacher's Activity Guide for Fourth through Seventh Grades. U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management. Order through National Project Archaeology, Bozeman, MT. (406) 994-6925.

          General Introduction

          Derry, Linda, and Maureen Malloy, eds. Archaeologists and Local Communities: Partners in Exploring the Past. Society for American Archaeology, 2002.

          Fagan, Brain M. Archaeology: A Brief Introduction. 9th ed. Prentice-Hall, 2006.

          Fagan, Brain M. In the Beginning: An Introduction to Archaeology. 11th ed. Prentice-Hall, 2004.

          Fagan, Brain M. Time Detectives: How Archaeologists Use Technology to Recapture the Past. Touchstone Books, S & S Trade, 1996.

          Joukowsky, Martha . A Complete Manual of Field Archaeology: Tools and Techniques of Fieldwork for Archeologists. Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1981.

          Sharer, Robert J., and Wendy Ashmore. Archaeology: Discovering Our Past. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill Higher Ed., 2003.

          Thomas, David Hurst. Archaeology. 4th ed. Thomson/Wadsworth, 2006.

          Wass, Stephen. The Amateur Archaeologist. B.T. Batsford Ltd., 1992. (Contains useful information even though the focus is on British archaeology and organizations)

          Willey, Gordon R., and Jeremy Sabloff. A History of American Archaeology. 3rd ed. W.H. Freeman Co., 1993

          Willey, Gordon R. Portraits in American Archaeology: Remembrances of Some Distinguished Americanists. Univ. of New Mexico Press, 1989.

          Another on prehistoric: Stanford, Dennis. J., and Bruce A. Bradley. 2012. Across Atlantic Ice; the Origins of America's Clovis
          Culture. Foreword by Michael B. Collins. University of California Press.