Best Archaeology Books for Library?

  • Nina Brown
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2012
      Hello everyone,

      I have some end-of-the-year budget money to make some purchases for our CC
      library. I have a good long list of cultural anth books to purchase, but I
      would really appreciate some suggestions for titles or even types of books
      that would help establish an archaeology collection. We have no archaeology
      books whatsoever at the moment, but we do have a brand new intro to
      archaeology class! Any suggestions for titles would be welcome. I have to
      spend the money by the end of Friday.

      Thanks,
      Nina
    • Barry Kass
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2012
        All of Bob Muckle's publications related to archaeology and prehistory,
        including his most recent publication, *Indigenous Peoples of North
        America--A Concise Anthropological Overview *( U. of Toronto Press 2012 )
        are highly recommend.
        Barry Kass

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2012
          Thanks Barry for suggesting the Muckle books.

          The two Muckle purely archaeology books are 'Introducing Archaeology' and 'Reading Archaeology'. "Introducing Archaeology ' is a basic introductory level textbook. 'Reading Archaeology' is a reader (about 40 articles/chapters from scholarly, semi-scholarly, and popular media). (both available from University of Toronto Press)

          Other books I recommend for a collection include:

          Ken Feder's "Frauds, Myths, and Mysteries; Science and Pseudoscience in Archaeology' (at least in its 7th ed)

          'Archaeology Methods, volumes 1 and 2', edited by Maschner and Chippendale (Altamira).

          'The Archaeologist's Toolkit' (a series of several small volumes) (Altamira)

          'Handbook of Archaeological Science', edited by Brothwell and Pollard (Wiley)

          'Archaeology: Theories, Methods, and Practice' by Renfrew and Bahn (Norton). (at least in its 5th edition) (this is a very comprehensive book designed as a text, but can also serve as an excellent reference book).

          'Archaeology of Native North America' by Dean Snow (2009, Prentice Hall)

          'A Companion to Archaeology' edited by John Bintliff (Blackwell)

          "Oxford Companion to Archaeology" (edited by Fagan, Oxford).

          These are ones I would consider good for starting a collection.

          One of the best publishers of archaeology books is Left Coast Press. Most of their archaeology books are quite good and very affordable. I strongly suggest taking a look at their catalog of archaeology books on line. Same for Alta Mira.

          I'm just heading into the field right now (directing an archaeology field school). If you want more suggestions, contact me off-list and I can get back to you later tonight or tomorrow with more suggestions. bmuckle@...<mailto:bmuckle@...>

          Bob Muckle

          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2012
            All of these are great suggestions. I might suggest, if you don't have any, that books on general prehistory make good additions to rounding out a collection. I would recommend Price and Feinman, Images of the Past,(McGrawHill) 6/e; Feder's Past in Perspective (Oxford), 5/e, and/or Fagan's World Prehistory- A Brief Intro, (Pearson) 7/e.
            Best of luck!
            Tim

            Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
            Professor of Anthropology
            Richland College
            12800 Abrams Rd.
            Dallas, TX 75243

            972-238-6959
            tsullivan@...>>> Bob Muckle <bmuckle@...> 5/15/2012 10:34 AM >>>

            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2012
              I agree with Bob Muckles suggestions, and would addd the Encyclopdedia of Human Evolution, from Cambridge press.
              Mike Pavlik

              I have some end-of-the-year budget money to make some purchases for our CC
              library. I have a good long list of cultural anth books to purchase, but I
              would really appreciate some suggestions for titles or even types of books
              that would help establish an archaeology collection. We have no archaeology
              books whatsoever at the moment, but we do have a brand new intro to
              archaeology class! Any suggestions for titles would be welcome. I have to
              spend the money by the end of Friday.

              Thanks,
              Nina

            • alisonanthropology
              Message 6 of 7 , May 16, 2012
                I second Bob's list, and really recommend the Renfrew book, as it has so many shorter readings in it on the various specialties within archaeology. There is the Out of the Past series for Mesoamerican interests (I recall that from my course resources when I took intro to archaeology back in the day). Cambridge, Altamira, Left Coast all have great collections including shorter books focused on areas of specializations.

                Might I also suggest checking museum books/items for general audiences? These latter sources (if selected with this plan in mind) could work for introduction to cultural anthropology classes too (like ones on material cultural artifacts, etc.) If you can select a/v too, there are videos for the Out of the Past series as well as a lot of documentaries germane to archaeology.

                Let us know what you decide to go with if others are interested, as I know I would be. I'm in the preliminary thinking stages of making the push for adding courses at my cc as well as starting an archaeology/museum/anthropology club because there's so much interest but only introduction to cultural offered as of now.

                -----

                Tangentially, belated congrats, Dianne. Sounds like your student is doing quite well with pursuing further education.

                Alison

                Message 7 of 7 , May 16, 2012
                  Suggested Readings in Archaeology

                  The following is a list of some of the major introductory books and journals in the field. Their bibliographies are extensive and should be consulted by those wishing more detailed information.

                  Educators' Resources

                  Archaeology in the Classroom. A Resource Guide by State for Teachers and Parents. 2nd edition. 2001. Compiled and edited by Margo Muhl Davis. Archaeological Institute of America.

                  Archaeologists at Work: A Teacher's Guide to Classroom Archaeology. 2nd ed. 1996. 1st ed. 1990. Order from Alexandria Archaeology, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA 22314; (703) 838-4399.

                  Clark, Joelle G. "Some Guidance from the PEC � Should Kids Dig?" The SAA Archaeological Record 16(5):9-11.

                  Selig, Ruth Osterweis, London, Marilyn R., and P. Ann Kaupp, eds. Anthropology Explored: The Best of Smithsonian AnthroNotes. 2nd ed. Smithsonian Institution Press, 2004. (Includes 10 chapters under the heading, "Archaeologists Examine the Past.")

                  Smardz, Karolyn and Smith, Shelley J., eds. The Archaeology Education Handbook: Sharing the Past with Kids. Altamira Publishers, 2000.

                  Smith, Shelley J.; Moe, Jeanne M.; Letts, Kelly A.; and Paterson, Danielle M. Intrigue of the Past: A Teacher's Activity Guide for Fourth through Seventh Grades. U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management. Order through National Project Archaeology, Bozeman, MT. (406) 994-6925.

                  General Introduction

                  Derry, Linda, and Maureen Malloy, eds. Archaeologists and Local Communities: Partners in Exploring the Past. Society for American Archaeology, 2002.

                  Fagan, Brain M. Archaeology: A Brief Introduction. 9th ed. Prentice-Hall, 2006.

                  Fagan, Brain M. In the Beginning: An Introduction to Archaeology. 11th ed. Prentice-Hall, 2004.

                  Fagan, Brain M. Time Detectives: How Archaeologists Use Technology to Recapture the Past. Touchstone Books, S & S Trade, 1996.

                  Joukowsky, Martha . A Complete Manual of Field Archaeology: Tools and Techniques of Fieldwork for Archeologists. Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1981.

                  Sharer, Robert J., and Wendy Ashmore. Archaeology: Discovering Our Past. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill Higher Ed., 2003.

                  Thomas, David Hurst. Archaeology. 4th ed. Thomson/Wadsworth, 2006.

                  Wass, Stephen. The Amateur Archaeologist. B.T. Batsford Ltd., 1992. (Contains useful information even though the focus is on British archaeology and organizations)

                  Willey, Gordon R., and Jeremy Sabloff. A History of American Archaeology. 3rd ed. W.H. Freeman Co., 1993

                  Willey, Gordon R. Portraits in American Archaeology: Remembrances of Some Distinguished Americanists. Univ. of New Mexico Press, 1989.

                  Another on prehistoric: Stanford, Dennis. J., and Bruce A. Bradley. 2012. Across Atlantic Ice; the Origins of America's Clovis
                  Culture. Foreword by Michael B. Collins. University of California Press.