TIME Magazine Flack

  • Fulara, Elise
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2012
      So, TIME Magazine has figured out my game, apparently.

      I've been using "breastfeeding" and particularly "breastfeeding beyond the age of one" as my discussion topic to introduce course concepts such as ethnocentrism, cultural relativity, and the cultural framing of biological acts for several years now in my classes. I've discovered that even though many students have most likely never even so much as seen a woman breastfeed a baby that they ALL have ideas about whether it's "gross" or "natural" or "sexual" and where it should be done... and how long it should be done for.

      Dr. Dettwyler has had a recent article running in the the mainstream media, and has been studying the issue for many years now.

      http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-11/breastfeeding-rates/54909940/1

      https://www.llli.org/ba/aug94.html

      Try the topic out sometime - I guarantee you will have a lively class discussion! It has yet to fail me.

      ~ Elise :)

      ___

      Elise A. Fulara, M.A.
      Adjunct Instructor, Anthropology
      College of DuPage
      630-942-2800 x57617
      fulara@...
      Mailbox location: IC-2406
      www.cod.edu/people/faculty/fular
    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2012
        Dettwyler's book, Dancing Skeletons, while not new anymore, is a nice ethnography to address some of these topics. She does so tangentially, not as the meat and potatoes, and I have found that it also provoked very good discussion.

        Mary Kay Gilliland
        Pima Community College

        fulara@...<mailto:fulara%40cod.edu>
        Mailbox location: IC-2406
        www.cod.edu/people/faculty/fular

      • Anthropmor
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2012
          There is also" Mother and others " by Sarah Hrdy