RE: Sharing the success of a community college student.

  • Lynch, Brian M
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2012
      It is that time of year when we can enjoy the little and big 'successes' of our students...

      Thanks for sharing this.

      Brian

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2012
        This is truly wonderful, Dianne. So many students pass through our classes during a teaching career, most of whom we never hear from or about again. Though scientists we are, we nonetheless must take on faith that what we do is meaningful. Then a student like Mariangela comes along and both vindicates our faith and gives us the quiet satisfaction that we have played a part in what she has become. Congratulations!

        Lloyd

        On May 15, 2012, at 8:51 AM, <dianne.chidester@...> wrote:

        > I hope y'all don't mind if I share the success of one of my former
        > students.
        >
        > I spent Sunday afternoon and all day Monday in Atlanta for Emory
        > University's graduation ceremony. My former student, Mariangela Jordan,
        > graduated on Monday and also received the highest undergraduate award
        > from Emory ($20,000). She has also been accepted to work on her Ph.D.
        > in Anthropology at Cornell University and has received financial support
        > from them.
        >
        > http://pba.org/post/unusual-road-graduation
        >
        > http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/18388460/romanian-immigrant-travels-lo
        > ng-road-to-emory-graduation
        >
        > Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor
        >
        > Anthropology & Sociology
        >
        > Greenville Technical College
        >
        > P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042
        >
        > Greenville, SC 29607
        >
        > 864-250-8729
        >
        > "You've got to be taught to hate and fear
        >
        > You've got to be taught from year to year
        >
        > It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear
        >
        > You've got to be carefully taught"
        >
        > --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific
        >
        > ----------

      • Tim Sullivan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2012
          Dianne:
          Thanks for sharing this. Congratulations to Mariangela and to you as well!
          Tim

          Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
          Professor of Anthropology
          Richland College
          12800 Abrams Rd.
          Dallas, TX 75243

          972-238-6959
          tsullivan@...>>> <dianne.chidester@...> 5/15/2012 8:51 AM >>>

          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2012
            Congratulations, Dianne.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2012
              Outstanding, Diane! By far the best feeling from teaching in our cc's is when you get the opportunity to see great results like this and be there with the student...nothin' better,,,keep doing what you do. Mark

              Message 6 of 7 , May 16, 2012
                Dianne,
                This is wonderful news. You show the lasting influence of caring excellent teachers. You should be very proud.

                Congratulations!!

                Chuck

                Sent from my iPhone