PhDs on food stamps from the Chronicle

  • shephdj@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2012
      An article from The Chronicle of Higher Education was forwarded to you by:
      ShephDJ@...

      Message from the sender:
      Not at all surprising but shocking nonetheless. If interested, read Michael
      Bryson's comments from two days ago.

      Deborah
      The Ph.D. Now Comes With Food Stamps
      From Graduate School to Welfare 1

      Laura Segall For The Chronicle

      Melissa Bruninga-Matteau, a medieval-history Ph.D. and adjunct professor
      who gets food stamps: "I've been able to make enough to live on. Until
      now."

      By Stacey Patton

      "I am not a welfare queen," says Melissa Bruninga-Matteau.

      That's how she feels compelled to start a conversation about how she, a
      white woman with a Ph.D. in medieval history and an adjunct professor, came
      to rely on food stamps and Medicaid. Ms. Bruninga-Matteau, a 43-year-old
      single mother who teaches two humanities courses at Yavapai College, in
      Prescott, Ariz., says the stereotype of the people receiving such aid does
      not reflect reality. Recipients include growing numbers of people like her,
      the highly educated, whose advanced degrees have not insulated them from
      financial hardship.

      "I find it horrifying that someone who stands in front of college classes
      and teaches is on welfare," she says.

      The Ph.D. Now Comes With Food Stamps
      http://chronicle.com/article/From-Graduate-School-to/131795/
      Many people with master's degrees and Ph.D.'s are surviving on
      government assistance, and their numbers are rising fast.
      Most E-Mailed
      From Graduate School to Welfare
      http://chronicle.com/article/From-Graduate-School-to/131795/
      Law Professor Gives Law Schools a Failing Grade
      http://chronicle.com/article/Law-Professor-Gives-Law/131815/
      The Case for Breaking Up With Your Parents
      http://chronicle.com/article/The-Case-for-Breaking-Up-With/131760/
      Groups Team Up to Turn Free Online Courses Into Cheap College Credit
      http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/groups-team-up-to-turn-free-online-courses-into-cheap-college-credit/36312
      What's in a Name? For Yale in Singapore, a Whole Lot
      http://chronicle.com/article/Whats-in-a-Name-For-Yale-in/131794/

      Finding it hard to keep up with all that's happening in academe?
      The Chronicle keeps you up to date with award-winning reporting and
      analysis of current events in higher education. We offer daily and
      weekly e-mail newsletters that will keep you current. Go
      to http://chronicle.com/myaccount/newsletters
      http://chronicle.com/myaccount/newsletters
      to sign up.

      (c) The Chronicle of Higher Education