Flintknapping Workshop at the SACC Fest

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2012
      SACC Annual Meeting participants --

      A few reminders about those of you registered for the Lithics workshop on Wednesday, April 25th. A bus will pick us up at the hotel at 8:00 am Wednesday morning for an approximate arrival time at San Diego Miramar College at 8:45 am.

      The workshop will begin at 9:00, with a talk by our workshop leader, Dr. Tim Gross (bio below). After the talk, we'll have a snack break, and the remaining workshop time (approximately 1 1/2 hours) will be spent "breaking rocks." The bus will bring us back to the hotel at 12:00 noon for lunch on your own.

      Required materials:
      It is essential that you bring heavy duty leather gloves, or second best, thick canvas gloves with leather palms. This is not child's play - you are working with very sharp materials. Knit or full-canvas gloves will not work. Goggles (over your glasses) are required, as are closed-toed shoes and long pants. We'll bring the bandaids just in case. (Kidding! Well, not really, we will have a full first aid kit there and a nurse is on campus.)

      Additional notes:
      We will be outside, so please plan both for bright sun (hats, sunscreen and glasses) as well as breezy and cool weather (layers/a windbreaker). You just never know around here these days.

      This should be a great experience for everyone - and at a tiny fraction of the cost of most lithics workshops out there ($25)! Woot woot!

      There are still a few spots available. If you are interested, you can modify your registration to include the workshop on the AAA page. Let me know if you need assistance.

      ~ Laura

      Bio of Tim Gross, workshop leader

      Tim Gross grew up in the San Diego area and developed an early interest in how people interacted with the environment before the age of Wal-Mart and Target. After seeing a movie in school about stone tool making, he went home and started breaking the rocks in the yard to try and figure out how it was done. Although he was primarily self-taught, he did have two semesters of graduate rock-breaking at Washington State University from Jeff Flenniken, a recognized master at stone tool making.

      Dr. Gross has used his flintknapping both as a research tool and as a way of engaging the public in archaeology. He has demonstrated stone tool making over the last four decades, and he has offered classes in rock-breaking at the San Diego Archaeological Center and the Kumeyaay-Ipai Interpretive Center of Pauwai.

      With Sarah Neusius, he cowrote a textbook on North American archaeology called Seeking Our Past, published in 2007 by Oxford University Press. Dr. Gross has taught at San Diego City College and San Diego Mesa College, and is currently a part-time faculty member at the University of San Diego. His other employment is as an archaeologist at Ecology and Environment, Inc.
    • Krista Eliot
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2012
        Dear SACC members,

        The Southwestern Social Science Association has recently added an
        Anthropology section, and we are currently soliciting papers for our
        conference in New Orleans, 2013. Please consider submitting a paper, and
        forward on to colleagues who may be interested, as well. Thank you!

        CALL FOR PAPERS: 2013 Annual Meeting of the Southwestern Social Science
        Association

        March 27-30, 2013, New Orleans Marriot, New Orleans, LA

        SSSA is the oldest interdisciplinary social science association in the
        United States, and is composed of professionals and students the fields
        of economics, history, international studies, political science, social
        work, sociology, anthropology, and psychology. The association includes
        academics and other professionals. The anthropology section is welcoming
        participation from all four subfields: socio-cultural, linguistic,
        biological and archeological anthropology. Presentations of both
        applied and academic research are welcome. Please consult our website:
        www.sssaonline.org for more information. The structure of presentations
        is flexible; suggestions for complete panels, as well as individual
        paper presentations, are encouraged. Abstracts should be no more than
        200 words and should be submitted online:
        http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/sssa/sssa13/ The submission
        deadline is November 1. Questions? Contact: sssa.anthropology@....

        Best regards,

        Krista Eliot, University of California--San Diego
        Laura Wilhelm, University of Nevada--Reno
        Karen Wu, Tulane University
        SSSA Anthropology Co-chairs