RE: [SACC-L] looters

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
      I just was told this by one of our archaeologists:

      The Society for American Archaeology is taking the lead in responding to these shows, and NGS will soon announce a conference they are hosting that will include representatives of the SAA, SHA, ROPA, NSHIPO, etc., to discuss how television shows that encourage responsible metal detecting can be developed.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
        thanks...

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
          My friend Dominique Rissolo -- who was going to be a speaker at our
          conference, but will be in Cuba - works with National Geographic as part of
          his position at the Waitt Institute. Over the weekend I asked him about this
          issue, and he said that Nat Geo has a "civil war" on its hands due to the
          development of these shows. Apparently the Fox Network owns the National
          Geographic Channel, and they operate independently. The NG parent
          organization has no say over what programming the channel develops. Beyond
          that, the Diggers series was developed and shot entirely in secret, so not
          even the NG folks knew about it.

          Laura

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
            Wow, Laura, that's big news! If anyone on this listserv knows or has a journalist (reporter-type) as a contact, s/he might appreciate the story possibilities.

            Lloyd

            On Apr 9, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

            > My friend Dominique Rissolo -- who was going to be a speaker at our
            > conference, but will be in Cuba - works with National Geographic as part of
            > his position at the Waitt Institute. Over the weekend I asked him about this
            > issue, and he said that Nat Geo has a "civil war" on its hands due to the
            > development of these shows. Apparently the Fox Network owns the National
            > Geographic Channel, and they operate independently. The NG parent
            > organization has no say over what programming the channel develops. Beyond
            > that, the Diggers series was developed and shot entirely in secret, so not
            > even the NG folks knew about it.
            >
            > Laura

          • Bob Muckle
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
              The Society for American Archaeology (SAA) is meeting later this month (April 14-18), and there is a scheduled panel session on archaeology and the media, in which the National Geographic Society will be represented. I imagine that it will be a very heavily attended and somewhat raucous session. My understanding is that National Geographic has agreed to, or is working on, putting some kind of disclaimers before and/or after the tv program.

              I also understand that the National Geographic has agreed to work more closely with real archaeologists in the future to try to prevent this kind of thing happening again.

              It kind of reminds me of some Hollywood celebrity scandal with the National Geographic Society trying to frame, and take control of, the discussion now.

              Information on these looting programs on the National Geographic Channel and Spike TV started appearing in the Twitterverse and Blogosphere months ago. I expect there will be resurgence of interest in the media when they report on the session at the SAA meetings.

            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
                There's a lot of airtime to fill with so many channels. I had felt that
                NG had lowered its standards. -- Dianne