looters

  • kent morris
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2012
      another reason to get mad as hell...

      http://www.spike.com/shows/american-digger/
    • Anthropmor
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2012
        it just keeps getting worse

        -----Original Message-----
        From: kent morris <km52@...>
        To: SACC-L <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
        Sent: Sat, Apr 7, 2012 12:02 pm
        Subject: [SACC-L] looters

        another reason to get mad as hell...

        http://www.spike.com/shows/american-digger/

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
          I just was told this by one of our archaeologists:

          The Society for American Archaeology is taking the lead in responding to these shows, and NGS will soon announce a conference they are hosting that will include representatives of the SAA, SHA, ROPA, NSHIPO, etc., to discuss how television shows that encourage responsible metal detecting can be developed.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
            thanks...

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
              My friend Dominique Rissolo -- who was going to be a speaker at our
              conference, but will be in Cuba - works with National Geographic as part of
              his position at the Waitt Institute. Over the weekend I asked him about this
              issue, and he said that Nat Geo has a "civil war" on its hands due to the
              development of these shows. Apparently the Fox Network owns the National
              Geographic Channel, and they operate independently. The NG parent
              organization has no say over what programming the channel develops. Beyond
              that, the Diggers series was developed and shot entirely in secret, so not
              even the NG folks knew about it.

              Laura

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
                Wow, Laura, that's big news! If anyone on this listserv knows or has a journalist (reporter-type) as a contact, s/he might appreciate the story possibilities.

                Lloyd

                On Apr 9, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

                > My friend Dominique Rissolo -- who was going to be a speaker at our
                > conference, but will be in Cuba - works with National Geographic as part of
                > his position at the Waitt Institute. Over the weekend I asked him about this
                > issue, and he said that Nat Geo has a "civil war" on its hands due to the
                > development of these shows. Apparently the Fox Network owns the National
                > Geographic Channel, and they operate independently. The NG parent
                > organization has no say over what programming the channel develops. Beyond
                > that, the Diggers series was developed and shot entirely in secret, so not
                > even the NG folks knew about it.
                >
                > Laura

              • Bob Muckle
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
                  The Society for American Archaeology (SAA) is meeting later this month (April 14-18), and there is a scheduled panel session on archaeology and the media, in which the National Geographic Society will be represented. I imagine that it will be a very heavily attended and somewhat raucous session. My understanding is that National Geographic has agreed to, or is working on, putting some kind of disclaimers before and/or after the tv program.

                  I also understand that the National Geographic has agreed to work more closely with real archaeologists in the future to try to prevent this kind of thing happening again.

                  It kind of reminds me of some Hollywood celebrity scandal with the National Geographic Society trying to frame, and take control of, the discussion now.

                  Information on these looting programs on the National Geographic Channel and Spike TV started appearing in the Twitterverse and Blogosphere months ago. I expect there will be resurgence of interest in the media when they report on the session at the SAA meetings.

                • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 9, 2012
                    There's a lot of airtime to fill with so many channels. I had felt that
                    NG had lowered its standards. -- Dianne