Re: [SACC-L] Gordon Gauchat-ASR Study: Conservatives' trust in science hitsall-time low, UNC sociologist finds

  • Anthropmor
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 7:52 AM
      Thanks for the link- good piece
      Mike Pavlik

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Kip Waldo <kwaldo@...>
      To: SACC-L <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Mar 30, 2012 9:14 pm
      Subject: Re: [SACC-L] Gordon Gauchat-ASR Study: Conservatives' trust in science hitsall-time low, UNC sociologist finds

      This discussion recalls an op-ed piece by Robert Sapolsky a while back.

      Maybe we need to consider our role in this - as supposed educators of the public. Why are we failing?

      Toward the end of his commentary, Sapolsky says, "This downtrodden status can cause some bizarre, twitchy forms of ire -- say, deciding that the liberal media is the enemy, rather than, say, our country's robber barons, whose interests they keep being convinced to vote for. Or to be skittish about technological and cultural innovations, not because these folks don't understand them, but because they understand all too well how the newest new is going to marginalize them even more in the boondocks of America.com. And to dislike evolution, because of a side branch of evolutionary thinking that has metastasized ever since Darwin, which has a sordid record of doing bad things to folks like these. This is Social Darwinism, the pseudoscience that evolution is about "should be" rather than "is," that folks on the lower rungs of society are peopled with individuals who are evolutionarily meant to be there, and that all is biologically just in this stratified world. Add in the potentially incorrect belief that accepting evolution is incompatible with one of the more common sources of solace in that corner of the country, namely fundamentalist religion, and you've got some unhappy campers."

      For the entire piece:
      Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/10/EDGJIA98SM1.DTL&ao=2#ixzz1qel2A5ad

      >>> Anthropmor <anthropmor@...> 03/30/12 1:15 PM >>>

      Does this remind anyone else of Darwin and Fitzroy? Or that whole period of time - scientists seen as pencil necked trouble making geeks? Upsetting the social order?
      Mike Pavlik

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 7:59 AM
        as far as us failing at reaching people - there are numerous factors involved in this - but the one I think thast might have the easiest solution is for us to support each other, and keep promoting our classes to students.
        And by supporting each other, I mean raising a rucus when full timers aren't replaced, trying to get more anthro positions approved, expanding our curriculum, etc etc etc.
        It has to be done co-operatively, so it has to become "go team anthro" and less "Hurray for me!" .
        Mike Pavlik