Re: [SACC-L] why don't Americans elect scientists?

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2012
      Good article, Ann. Thanks for this. I'm probably not alone in forgetting, occasionally, why intelligent news pundits fail to educate the public. As the author points out, "he said/she said" journalism makes juicier news that corrals more viewers and sells more papers. Thus, from "everyone has a right to his or her own opinion," it follows that all opinions are equal. Fox News and MSNBC are just co-equal expressions of THE two opposing political positions. And sound social science analysis and interpretation of reality is just left wing propaganda. Alas...

      Lloyd

      On Mar 19, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Kaupp, Ann wrote:

      > http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/why-dont-americans-elect-scientists/?hp

    • Kip Waldo
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2012
        I have always found this a curious aspect of our culture - that denigrate ourselves or others for not embracing intelligent analysis of world events. We are told by the corporate media that people won't watch real news shows or complex programming. So we believe this from the same media sources we deride?

        One of the longest running shows on tv is 60 Minutes. Admittedly the quality has diminished over the years. But it is a news magazine reflecting some level of investigation. Nightline was on for years, beginning with the Iran hostage situation and continuing way beyond with a more in-depth investigative format. Similarly, national geographic and other shows have a considerable following. I remember numerous discussion when, i lived in Detroit, about a piece on Nghtline with auto workers who worked day shift. That meant they watched a show that went off the air at midnight and were at work the next morning by 5:30 or 5;45 am. And there wasn't any Tevo or video recording.

        So, when we begin to believe the myths created by corporate media (owned by GE, Disney, Sony et al) we should think again. When the events in Egypt were unfolding, many of my students quickly gravitated to Al Jazeera because there wasn't any other source, but they had to first know about it and then, unless they were a Middle Eastern household, they had to stream it. Interesting that our sole cable provider will not carry it.

        If there were intelligent and engaging news shows and people didn't watch then, then maybe we could draw some conclusions. Many of those younger than I get their news from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

        (Ever wonder why we never get the numbers on those voting in all these primary elections and setting the tone of politics in this country?)
        kip

        >>> Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> 03/21/12 9:19 PM >>>
        Good article, Ann. Thanks for this. I'm probably not alone in forgetting, occasionally, why intelligent news pundits fail to educate the public. As the author points out, "he said/she said" journalism makes juicier news that corrals more viewers and sells more papers. Thus, from "everyone has a right to his or her own opinion," it follows that all opinions are equal. Fox News and MSNBC are just co-equal expressions of THE two opposing political positions. And sound social science analysis and interpretation of reality is just left wing propaganda. Alas...

        Lloyd

        On Mar 19, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Kaupp, Ann wrote:

        > http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/why-dont-americans-elect-scientists/?hp

      • Frank Lagana
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22, 2012
          Even though it's almost 25 years old now, Chomsky's book (along with Edward Herman) "Manufacturing Consent" is still worth reading for it's analysis of how and why the mass media manages to keep most of us dazed and confused.

          Frank

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 22, 2012, at 12:18 AM, Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> wrote:

          > Good article, Ann. Thanks for this. I'm probably not alone in forgetting, occasionally, why intelligent news pundits fail to educate the public. As the author points out, "he said/she said" journalism makes juicier news that corrals more viewers and sells more papers. Thus, from "everyone has a right to his or her own opinion," it follows that all opinions are equal. Fox News and MSNBC are just co-equal expressions of THE two opposing political positions. And sound social science analysis and interpretation of reality is just left wing propaganda. Alas...
          >
          > Lloyd
          >

          > On Mar 19, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Kaupp, Ann wrote:
          >
          >> http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/why-dont-americans-elect-scientists/?hp

        • Anthropmor
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 23, 2012
            agreed- and I have used the movie in class, as well - does a nice job exploring many of the themes from the book, as well as familiarizing students with Chomsky.
            Mike Pavlik