Re: [SACC-L] AAA Ethics Committee - Outreach to community colleges

  • Renee Garcia
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2012
      Hello,
      I am not a current member of AAA (though plan to register soon) but have been a member and am myself Mexican-American. I am a female who has been involved with paleoanthropology and biological anthropology in my early academic years and have always felt rather alone. I am a full time professor of biological anthropology at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo.
      I have always been concerned about the lack of under represented students in Anthropology, though it is much better now than 20 years ago. I would be very willing to help in any way I can. Please let me know what I can do.
      Renee

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 21, 2012, at 4:59 AM, "Karen Muir" <kmuir@...<mailto:kmuir@...>> wrote:

      I am not "younger", but I am passionate on the topic and would be glad to assist in any way needed.

      Karen

      >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@...<mailto:mlewine%40wowway.com>> 3/21/2012 12:47 AM >>>

      Laura, as you may know, when Patsy Evans of AAA started the initiative to provide support for minorities in anthropology (recognizing that we had no such initiative while AAA membership was represented by highly skewed majority group membership bias, especially relative to sociology) I was representing SACC in the discussion...we argued (Paul Durrenberger and myself) in the General Assembly that the focus of the first initiative needed to be non-traditional (class and ethnicity) and focused on 'pipeline' opportunities provided to people with few or no opportunities (students of low-income in community colleges)...we won support to change the target populations from "traditional minorities" to "under-represented student populations", but they kept the initiative to dissertation level rather than entry level, promising that they would increase the program to include community college entry level pipeline entry support (grants for student majors in cc's transferring to anthro dep'ts)...I would be glad to advise and help on this effort, but suggest that I be an advisor to a younger SACC person with passionate commitment to the "open door" mobility mission of our movement.