AAA - Call for Community Engagement Application

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2012
      The following note solicits applications from AAA sections for "AAA-coordinated rental of public spaces near the conference venue to hold meeting events with community partners." That is, if we are interested in holding a local event in a AAA meeting city, we can apply for AAA to rent a location for us to do so. This is a nice outreach effort from the AAA, even if it is funded minimally.

      Laura

      ****************************

      From Vilma Santiago-Irizarry
      Section Assembly Convenor

      At the 2010 NOLA SA business meeting, we approved a resolution to request the AAA EB for resources to facilitate our ability to engage local communities at meetings, given the commitment in the AAA long-range plan "to provide the broadest possible access to the Annual Meeting of all member constituencies." This request was approved by the EB, which allocated resources and assigned the SAEC to manage the application process.

      The AAA will thus make available to all sections a total amount of up to $2,000 a year from members' annual meeting registration fees for AAA-coordinated rental of public spaces near the conference venue to hold meeting events with community partners. Please note that this is the total of available funds and we don't have $2,000 for each and every successful applicant. These public activities must be open to all AAA meeting attendees and will be listed, announced, and promoted as part of the annual program. The amount of $2000 is to be divided among sections through a process of proposal submission to the SAEC.

      I now call for proposals from interested sections. Please submit the following information to Kim Baker by 4 April 2012:

      Name of the event
      Proposed location
      Potential constituencies/community partners involved
      Contact person at event site
      Section contact[s], including treasurer
      A 200 words or less description of the event, including how it contributes to our ability to engage local communities

      The SAEC will assess your proposals at its April meeting and present its recommendations to the Annual Meeting Executive Committee. This process will be reviewed after the 2014 annual meeting. Please contact Kim Baker<mailto:kbaker@...> or me<mailto:vs23@...> if you've any questions or concerns about this.

      Thank you all and take care, V.

      Vilma Santiago-Irizarry
      Section Assembly Convenor
      Vilma Santiago-Irizarry