AAA Section Assembly condemns "Diggers" TV show

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2012
      News from the AAA Section Assembly,

      Some of you may have seen AAA President Leith Mullings' letter to National geographic and Spike TV expressing our regret and concern over two new shows to be broadcast on TV: : Diggers" and "American Diggers." Both of these shows follow amateur treasure hunters as they illegally seek artifacts for their own gain. (http://www.aaanet.org/issues/policy-advocacy/index.cfm)

      Last week, the AAA Section Assembly also passed a motion in response to these events, developed prior to the public notice of the AAA's letters.

      The motion passed reads as follows: 1) communicate to the producers and network officials of the television shows "Digger" and "American Digger" and of any future such shows a shared concern that these offerings endanger our common heritage and increase the likelihood of further site looting and antiquities trafficking through unsystematic excavation of archaeological sites for commercial purposes and without appropriate documentation;

      2) request that the American Anthropological Association (AAA) Executive Board (EB) similarly communicate such concerns on behalf of AAA as whole;

      and 3) request that the EB coordinate with the Society for American Archaeology, Register of Professional Archaeologists, Society for Historical Archaeology and other archaeological and history organizations to communicate these concerns and develop other responses.