Re: [SACC-L] Michael Wesch update

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2012
      Thanks for this, Pam. It's encouraging to hear that Wesch is able to look objectively at his work, and is comfortable enough in his own skin to acknowledge possible shortcomings and (most important) share them with us all publicly. Especially since we've been idolizing him these past few years.

      In my experience, many of the "wave of the future" technophiles tend to become religious about their new developments in teaching. And, strangely, they often begin by attacking the lecture method: get professors off center stage, as if we were endangering student learning by lecturing to them! This whole anti-lecture movement in undergraduate teaching was delightfully satirized by Howard Paap in his short story, "The Last Lecture," published in Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes (5:1, March 1998´┐Żavailable in AnthroSource archives, or email me off-list for a pdf).

      Lloyd