Invitation from CoPAPIA - Practicing Anthropologists

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2012
      We have located a SACC member who is interested in participating in the Gender panel. Thank you to Barbara Lass of City College of San Francisco!

      A second request has come in, this time from the AAA's Committee on Practicing, Applied, and Public Interest Anthropology (CoPAPIA). Here is the text of the invitation below. Please contact me off list at lagonzalez@... if you are interested.

      Laura

      *****************

      We are writing you to inquire about the Society for Anthropology in Community College's interest in collaborating on a Tenure and Promotion initiative of the AAA's Committee on Practicing, Applied, and Public Interest Anthropology (CoPAPIA) and the Consortium of Practicing and Applied Anthropology programs (COPAA).

      Here is a brief background and description of our initiative and the role that your section might play in this initiative. --

      In May 2011, the AAA Executive Board approved the "Guidelines for Evaluating Scholarship in the Realm of Practicing, Applied, and Public Interest Anthropology for Academic Promotion and Tenure," developed by the Committee on Practicing, Applied, and Public Interest Anthropology (CoPAPIA) and the Consortium of Practicing and Applied Anthropology programs (COPAA). http://www.aaanet.org/resources/departments/upload/Final-T-P-Document-2011.pdf

      The guidelines provide anthropology department and university committees with a sense of the scope and range of scholarly products in the public realm of anthropology, as well as examples of tangible and intangible scholarship. P&T departmental committees are tasked with evaluating the quality of these products and their impact on the community, as well as their significance and value to the discipline. The AAA guideline document recommends the identification of potential external reviewers with the expertise and knowledge to evaluate process, relationships, and outcomes of practicing, applied, and public interest anthropological scholarship who could assist departments in these evaluations. With this goal in mind, CoPAPIA and COPAA propose the creation of an "Expert Panel" of potential external reviewers to aid P&T anthropology committees in identifying appropriate scholars to evaluate P & T applicant dossiers. "The Expert Panel" is envisioned as an evolving group that would be revised and expanded annually.

      Expert Panelists would:
      Serve as external reviewers for P & T applicants (In other words, they would formally review the completed application for Tenure and/or Promotion and write review letters).
      Serve on a 3 year cycle. They would be contacted at the end of their term to see if they would like to remain.
      Be listed on the AAA website, complete with a brief profile and link to their Linked In page and/or department website.
      Be formally recognized by the AAA for their service.
      In addition to the creation of the Expert Panel, we hope to create a database of successful dossiers / `examples' where applicants demonstrate the impact of their applied, practicing, and public interest anthropological scholarship and were successful in their tenure and promotion applications.