Re: [SACC-L] colonialism and capitalism

  • mep1mep
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2012
      First Contact:  I have been showing that film for years and I have learned some ways of answering that issue; the one I call "to the victor goes the spoils".   I readily agree with students who make that argument that it is a moral judgement they might not want to make.  That is their right.  So I give them that one--I agree that it isn't my job to  determine their morals but it is my job to point out that the anthropological perspective is to see the relationship as founded on exploitation.  I point out that the three brothers are guilty of violating disclosure laws that we now have in place--if the New Guinea highlanders had known the value of the gold wouldn't they have wanted to earn the profits themselves, maybe buy a plane and learn to fly it (a little nudge to the principle of psychic unity on that one)--since I teach in Texas I place emphasis on the oil issue, disclosure laws coming about so no one could take that nasty black stuff
      out of your back yard for you without you understanding the value of that nasty black stuff.  I like to hit home that those are our American values.   It serves to reorient the discussion back to our shared moral values--what happened in that film isn't what we as American believe in.

      I then follow up with a discussion about whether we agree, morally, or not there is no denying the empirical reality of the consequences of colonialism--the wealthy get rich and the poor get poorer.  You don't have to stray too far from the film for that point.  Three guys got quite rich while the mass of the population lost the only resource they had to compete in a world economy--their gold.  I spell out the consequences of that exploitation.  Daniel used his wealth to buy up the land for his coffee plantation, displacing the people off their land and hiring them back as laborers.  Its all right there for you.  You can even bring in good old Jared Diamond's "guns" point if you want.  Most of the class will end up agreeing with you and the remaining strict neoliberal philosophers weren't ever going to, anyway.

      Pam