colonialism and capitalism

  • Patricia Hamlen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
      To any interested SACC buddies!

      It's been my quest to find a Cultural Anthro text that addresses the
      issues that we have been discussing the last two days. Mary Kay
      Guilliland and I, and perhaps others? ...are using John Bodley's text:
      Cultural Anthropology Tribes, States and the Global System. The book
      has a perspective and I encourage my students to critique it. It
      allows me to keep cultural anthropology relevant in this quickly
      changing world and recognize that these changes and the dominance of
      capitalism (a system that does not promote equality) are far from
      natural or inevitable but of course cultural...as we all know and well
      understand. It seems even educated individuals on occasion, prefer to
      ignore this, perhaps so they can divorce themselves from their own
      involvement and culpability?

      Best wishes to all,

      Pat

    • Anthony Balzano
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
        Bodley's text is great if you teach Cultural. It is the antidote to
        many of the ills discussion in this string. If you want to kick it up a
        notch include all or part of David Graeber's Fragments of an Anarchist
        Anthropology (Prickly Paradigm Press, 2004).

        Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

        Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

        Sussex County (NJ) Community College

        1 College Hill Rd.

        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@... <mailto:abalzano@...>

        fonddesblancs2010@... <mailto:fonddesblancs2010@...>

        SKYPE: anthonybalzano

        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

        Cell: 973-271-7680

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
          Interesting discussion, thanks for the links!

          If you aren't about to change your text, a good introduction, that usually requires a written assessment and discussion is Lappe and Collins' piece "Why Can't People Feed Themselves?" There are a lot of movies - anything by John Pilger, "Life and Debt", Marilyn Waring's "Who Counts" is great, and very accessible - (a title with a double entendre),China Blue.... I could go on.

          Luckily I am teaching a class on Globalization this semester. Some start out resistant, but by now people are opening up and thinking, and given the number of students with family elsewhere or are newcomers themselves, these are not abstract questions for many of them.

          Kip Waldo
          Anthropology Instructor
          Chabot College
          25555 Hesperian Blvd.
          Hayward, CA 94545

          kwaldo@...
          voice 510.723.6980

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
            I finished showing the video "First Contact" today in my introductory cultural anthro course. In that video, the surviving Leahy brothers talk about the "primitive bush kanakas" never having worked a day in their lives before the Australians showed up and seeming to assert that trading cowrie shells for work in gold mines was a fair trade, an equitable remuneration. When I started talking about how the video, usually presented as an example of culture shock, can also be seen as an indictment of colonialism, I had a student actually ask (as if he had been reading this listserv before coming to class), "So, what's wrong with that? what's so bad about colonialism?" Several students seemed to agree that lying and deception were acceptable so long as one wasn't caught.

            J. Luke Matthews
            Anthropology Faculty
            Chair, Humanities Department
            Madison Area Technical College
            room D411
            211 N. Carroll Street
            Madison WI 53703
[...]

            kwaldo@...<mailto:kwaldo%40chabotcollege.edu>
            voice 510.723.6980

            >>> "Anthony Balzano" <abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>> 02/22/12 10:15 AM >>>
            Bodley's text is great if you teach Cultural. It is the antidote to
            many of the ills discussion in this string. If you want to kick it up a
            notch include all or part of David Graeber's Fragments of an Anarchist
            Anthropology (Prickly Paradigm Press, 2004).

            Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

            Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

            Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

            Sussex County (NJ) Community College

            1 College Hill Rd.

            Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

            abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu> <mailto:abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>>

            fonddesblancs2010@...<mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com> <mailto:fonddesblancs2010@...<mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com>>

            SKYPE: anthonybalzano

            SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
              There are some resources on the Internet.

              Film - "The End of Poverty" is on Utube - has good / powerful
              description of colonialism. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pktOXJr1vOQ
              The film is long but strong.

              Article: "Contextual Economics and a world of well-being with Neva
              Goodwin" - an interview http://www.ikedacenter.org/thinkers/goodwin_int.htm

            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 23, 2012
                It will be interesting to hear the Supreme Court decision on lying.
                Sounds like they may come down on the side with your students--just
                don't get caught. -- DIanne

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25, 2012
                  First Contact:  I have been showing that film for years and I have learned some ways of answering that issue; the one I call "to the victor goes the spoils".   I readily agree with students who make that argument that it is a moral judgement they might not want to make.  That is their right.  So I give them that one--I agree that it isn't my job to  determine their morals but it is my job to point out that the anthropological perspective is to see the relationship as founded on exploitation.  I point out that the three brothers are guilty of violating disclosure laws that we now have in place--if the New Guinea highlanders had known the value of the gold wouldn't they have wanted to earn the profits themselves, maybe buy a plane and learn to fly it (a little nudge to the principle of psychic unity on that one)--since I teach in Texas I place emphasis on the oil issue, disclosure laws coming about so no one could take that nasty black stuff
                  out of your back yard for you without you understanding the value of that nasty black stuff.  I like to hit home that those are our American values.   It serves to reorient the discussion back to our shared moral values--what happened in that film isn't what we as American believe in.

                  I then follow up with a discussion about whether we agree, morally, or not there is no denying the empirical reality of the consequences of colonialism--the wealthy get rich and the poor get poorer.  You don't have to stray too far from the film for that point.  Three guys got quite rich while the mass of the population lost the only resource they had to compete in a world economy--their gold.  I spell out the consequences of that exploitation.  Daniel used his wealth to buy up the land for his coffee plantation, displacing the people off their land and hiring them back as laborers.  Its all right there for you.  You can even bring in good old Jared Diamond's "guns" point if you want.  Most of the class will end up agreeing with you and the remaining strict neoliberal philosophers weren't ever going to, anyway.

                  Pam