Re: [SACC-L] "What's so Bad About Colonialism?"

    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 21, 2012
      Wow, Brian. This provides "eye-witness testimony" to what I've been writing and thinking about for some time: that anthropological knowledge and perspective are necessary in order that citizens may function properly in our democracy, and therefore ought to be a centerpiece of American education from K through a college baccalaureate.

      A problem, as you know, is that your students get these taken-for-granted thoughts from their parents, friends, (non-anthropologically savvy) teachers the public media and everywhere else. And, I think that if we, the anthropology community, were to push hard for anthropology's expansion and inclusion in K-12 curricula, we would embarrass school teachers and administrators, most of whom are largely ignorant of what we teach. They would therefore resist us all the more.

      We would also get parental and public resistance at the kind of iconoclastic knowledge we bring to the table. For example, what would happen if students learned of the various kinship systems (other than our own), some of which defined "family" unilineally, thus excluding the biological father from the family unit and permitting sexual relations and marriage with one kind of first cousin but not another? Our current divorce laws that promote and protect biological paternity as nearly sacred, as well as our concepts of "incest," might be seriously challenged.

      I wish I had some solutions. The recent news that AAA has formed a public policy committee that would bring anthropology more into the public eye might hold promise.

      Lloyd

      On Feb 21, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Lynch, Brian M wrote:

      > Well, I guess I should have realized there'd come a day....
      > I'm currently teaching an intro cultural anthropology class, and an intro sociology class, and have had a similar experience emerge in each of these sections (one anthro, and several soc). I seem to be dealing with more students, more consistently, who are genuinely and deeply puzzled about "what is wrong with colonialism" ... and "isn't it just the natural order of things that the global capitalist system brings indigenous people into the modern age?" I am getting these kinds of questions, not as ideological challenges to anything I am saying (not as adversarial political positions) but simply as reflections of taken-for-granted world views. In this mode, things that I've been able to discuss and explore in years past-like critical questioning of the idea of cultural evolution, or the nature of historical "progress"-now seem like absolute foreign languages to many students.
      >
      > It is an interesting time in which to be teaching anthropology and sociology!
      >
      > Brian

    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 22, 2012
        Just caught my eye... how few letters separate Enlightenment from Entitlement....