Open coure library for anthropology

  • teritucker70
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2012
      Dear SACC members,

      I teach anthropology courses at Spokane Falls Community College in
      Washington State. Recently, the Washington State Legislature and the
      Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation developed the Open Course Library to
      join the growing movement for open educational resources. The Open
      Course Library is about leveraging expertly developed educational
      materials for everyone. It promotes access to resources, opportunity,
      and discovery regardless of the structures of demography, economics, or
      geography. (For popular press information on this project, please
      follow this link:
      https://sites.google.com/a/sbctc.edu/opencourselibrary/home/press-room
      <https://sites.google.com/a/sbctc.edu/opencourselibrary/home/press-room>
      ).

      The Open Course Library Project is not about obtaining open sources for
      copyrighted material in anthropology. Rather, this project is about
      creating and sharing freely available educational resources. This domain
      is called Open Educational Resources (OER). You can investigate OER
      efforts such as Connexions <http://cnx.org/> , OER Commons
      <http://www.oercommons.org/> , and MIT OpenCourseWare
      <http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm> by clicking on the links.

      As a course designer in anthropology for the Open Course Library, I am
      working hard to create an integrated, holistic, global, and relevant
      introduction to the discipline of anthropology. One of the objectives
      for this course is to introduce students to the traditional four areas
      of Anthropology (as defined by the American Association of Anthropology
      <http://www.aaanet.org/about/WhatisAnthropology.cfm> ) using rich,
      diverse, high-quality open educational resources. In tandem to this
      objective, I am creating assignments that provide students with
      opportunities to connect with the global community and apply an
      anthropological perspective to their daily lives.

      As anthropologists perhaps we can agree that although our areas of
      expertise may be specialized, we are still generalists about the human
      experience, collaborators among many sub-disciplines, and passionate
      that the structures of inequality do not impede access to information,
      knowledge, or understanding of `other'. And so, as teachers of
      anthropology, I am asking for your help and collaboration.

      I have compiled a list of items where I am currently seeking help and
      collaboration. This list is not exhaustive, I welcome any ideas. If you
      choose to help with this meaningful endeavor, all of your contributions
      will be acknowledged and attributed in the final project.

      1. If you teach an introduction to anthropology course -stressing the
      integration of the four major fields of anthropology, please consider
      sharing your syllabus.

      2. Within your area of expertise, please consider sharing specific
      assignments that promote one or all of the following:

      · enthusiasm

      · critical thinking

      · synthesizing among the 4 traditional fields of anthropology

      · connection with the global community—i.e. ongoing use
      of wikis, blogs, discussion boards that promote real-time, open, global
      conversations about relevant, timely and applicable topics in
      anthropology

      · social networking or web 2.0 tools that engage students in
      meaningful ways with anthropological topics

      3. If you currently use open resources for assignments or teaching
      modules, please consider forwarding that information to me.

      4. If you have resources/data that you created for teaching modules,
      please consider sharing them with this project under a Creative Commons
      (CC-BY) license <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/> .

      5. Please consider reviewing all or part of this course. I can give a
      stipend for those who are committed to reviewing the entire course by
      May, 18th 2012.

      6. Please consider forwarding this email to someone who is passionate
      about teaching anthropology within the global community and using open
      educational resources.

      Please email me (Terit@... <mailto:Terit@...>
      ) if you are interested in collaborating. I will be sharing the process
      of developing this course in Google docs as part of the Open Course
      Library <https://sites.google.com/a/sbctc.edu/opencourselibrary/home> .

      I look forward to working with you to increase knowledge and awareness
      about our discipline, engage in conversations about how we teach
      anthropology (at all levels), and share quality resources for an open
      global community.

      Thank you for your time and consideration,

      Teri L. Tucker

      Anthropology Faculty

      Department of Social Sciences and Cultural Studies

      Spokane Falls Community College